Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't charge via laptop, MacBook Air or charger - gives message "charging not supported for this accessory'

Hi everyone,

I've recently (in the last couple of days) started seeing messages on my

iPhone 5 that "charging is not supported with this accessory". At first I thought it was a problem with my MacBook Air it was plugged in to, but then it did the same for my Sony Vaio work laptop. Now this evening after plugging it in to the mains charger it is giving me the same message. Sooner or later it will probably die and not charge, so I want to get this sorted ASAP. I've seen other posts regarding old devices, non-apple hardware and peripherals, old iOS versions, etc but in my case it's a ~1 month old iPhone 5, fully up to date and does it while using genuine Apple products.

Another more is that it's not water damaged or mucky or anything - I keep a very close eye on my devices.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 3:09 PM

2 replies

Jan 7, 2015 8:59 PM in response to MorganW92

I have this issue and of course the first thing I hear from Apple is: Are you using the charger that came in the box? i have half a dozen chargers of all brands, and I have no clue which is which. There are supposed to be ones that are Apple- certified or something, anyone know if this one below is? Or is that just Apple ******** and they are all the same?

Dynex™ - 3' USB-to-Lightning Charge-and-Sync Cable

User uploaded file

iPhone 5 won't charge via laptop, MacBook Air or charger - gives message "charging not supported for this accessory'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.