Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a verizon SIM card work in a A 1429 gsm iPhone 5?

Will a verizon SIM card work in a A 1429 GSM iPhone 5 model?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 2:32 PM

12 replies

Feb 16, 2013 2:58 PM in response to yinkagabby

yinkagabby wrote:

A1429 comes in two version (CDMA and gsm)! Hence, if the gsm model is purchase from the UK, is it possible to use it in the US with Verizon network?

Verizon in the USA does not operate a GSM network at all - they operate a CDMA network. Verizon SIM cards are used in Verizon dual-mode phones to allow their customers to roam on GSM networks when travelling outside of the USA.

Your European GSM-only A1429 is completely incapable of connecting to Verizon's CDMA network in the USA.

Feb 16, 2013 4:22 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I saw a very detailed tech report on that awhile ago. Verizon is being very clever in that they are using some of the features of the dual-mode R-UIM-like features of the nano-SIM (C-SIM ?) slot for personal account information and LTE data provisioning. But the Verizon CDMA network connection data is still stored in firmware and the integrated whole (in terms of connectivity to Verizon's own network) gets pretty complicated.

(and the older I get, the less interested I seem to be to follow the details and understand the technology - does one grow out of geekness over time?)

Regardless, from the OPs point of view, he'd need an iPhone with CDMA capability, regardless of how the voice and data network provisioning and account info is split between firmware and SIM. A A1429 GSM-only iPhone is just that, GSM-only, no CDMA.

Mar 1, 2013 3:09 AM in response to _Ethan

_Ethan wrote:

Yes, kinda. I purchased a GSM A1429 iPhone and put my ipad sim and it connected to the LTE network. However, verizon will not activate it on CDMA therefore verizon cannot locate your phone with their system and cannot update any of the provisioning.

As noted above, that model phone is GSM only. It is not just that Verizon will not activate it on CDMA, they cannot as it has no CDMA chip.

Will a verizon SIM card work in a A 1429 gsm iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.