Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reading books on the macbook air

So I purchased a book through iTunes then went to read it on my new MacBook Air. However, there is no iBooks app for osx. I cannot figure out how to read books purchased from Apple on my laptop.

Further research indicates that Apple has been receiving complaints of this topic for years, but have ignored them.

The solution that makes the most sense is:

- Replace my 1st generation iPad with a Kindle (the iPad needs to be replaced anyway)

- Purchase all of my new ebooks from Amazon

- Purchase new apps for the Kindle and let the iPad die a slow lonely death

- Get the Kindle app for my MacBook Air

- Read my books anywhere (either on the new Kindle or on the MacBook Air)

I don't understand how Apple expects to keep loyal customers by screwing them over! Maybe Apple feels they no longer need to retain customers because the market is becoming too competitive. Maybe Apple feels they have enough money and are looking for ways to drive customers away. Maybe Apple has forgotten what somebody like Steve Jobs would have done.

I have zero confidence that the good folks at Apple will actually address this issue, so I will start shopping for a new Kindle tomorrow. I should probably also start thinking of alternatives when it comes time to replace my iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, and this MacBook Air.

Thanks Apple. You really have your priorities straight.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 12:06 AM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2013 8:51 AM in response to SciFiNut2013

The solution that makes the most sense is:

- Replace my 1st generation iPad with a Kindle (the iPad needs to be replaced anyway)

- Purchase all of my new ebooks from Amazon

- Purchase new apps for the Kindle and let the iPad die a slow lonely death

- Get the Kindle app for my MacBook Air

- Read my books anywhere (either on the new Kindle or on the MacBook Air)

You are correct, that makes the most sense.

The only correction I would offer is that the iPad also can read Kindle books, by using the Kindle app for iPad.

reading books on the macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.