Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help setting up Airport Express A1084 in Windows 7 via Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router

Hello All. I bought a used Airport Express A1084 off the net. Never had one before. My intention is to remotely control (via my iPhone using Apples Remote app or possibly XBMC) a "pc with music" and stream thru the AE connected to a boombox. I want to be able to take AE and boombox to the front yard, back yard, garage, or wherever my Netgear WNDR4500 will reach.

So far I have hit the reset on the AE and while holding, plugged it in to power (still holding) until the green light blinked. I let it go. Waited for it to complete booting (slow blinking yellow/amber light). The AE did not show up in Airport Utility ver 5.6.1. I uninstalled that version and installed older Airport Utility ver 5.4.2. Same results. I power cycled the router, turned off the Norton 365 firewall, and still get nothing. At one point though, I walked away for a while (an hour or so), came back and saw the AE listed in the left window pane of Airport Utility. I thought maybe I just didn't wait long enough so I clicked Manual Setup and it started to read the AE but Errored 10057. I tried again and got same error. I refreshed and the AE was gone.

Can someone tell me how to correct this so I can confirm I didn't buy a "brick"?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Airport Express A1084-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:45 PM

1 reply

Feb 18, 2013 7:07 PM in response to AlpharettaTom

Just so you are aware, the A1084 AirPort Express is a 802.11b/g wireless router that can only operate on the 2.4 GHz band. Regardless, it can be configured to join the wireless network provided by the Netgear as long as that network is configured to be backwards compatible with 802.11g clients. However, in the long run for performance, you do NOT want any non-"n" wireless clients connecting to your Netgear's network.

The 5.6.1 version of the AirPort Utility for Windows does not support the non-"n" version of the AirPort base stations. You would need to use an earlier version that will still run on Windows 7.

One thing to try would be to temporarily connect the Express directly to your PC using an Ethernet cable, and then, try accessing it with the AirPort Utility. If you are still unable to do so, you may have gotten yourself a defective unit.

Need help setting up Airport Express A1084 in Windows 7 via Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.