Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S iOS update

I had iOS 6.1 installed. There was a software update to iOS 6.1.1. The phone automatically downloaded it . I delayed hitting Install.

Now that iOS 6.1.2 is out and iOS 6.1.1 is no longer being signed. Downloaded update wouldn't install.

How to 1. delete the downloaded update and 2. install iOS 6.1.2. Also 3. how to disable automatic downloads.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:57 PM

Did you try just clicking on Update again?

You can delete the existing update by deleting the .ipsw file, which you will find at one of the following locations, depending on your operating system:

1. Windows XP : Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
  2. Vista/Windows 7: Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
  3. Mac: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

If by automatic downloads you mean iTunes automatic downloads, go to Settings>iTunes & App Stores to turn them off.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2013 7:57 PM in response to RajaRani

Did you try just clicking on Update again?

You can delete the existing update by deleting the .ipsw file, which you will find at one of the following locations, depending on your operating system:

1. Windows XP : Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
  2. Vista/Windows 7: Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
  3. Mac: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

If by automatic downloads you mean iTunes automatic downloads, go to Settings>iTunes & App Stores to turn them off.

Feb 20, 2013 9:51 PM in response to RajaRani

Similar problem here; also on iPhone 4S.

First of all, my phone never even told me that there was a new update available. This is really disturbing to me; I thought something was wrong with my phone.

Anyway, I tried downloading it and it literally look forever. So I decided to do a hard reset, only to realize the update made no progress - I figured it'd at least start over. I waited it out and then it finally said it was download, so I clicked "install". And then it made me go through the whole downloading process again! It was quicker, sure, but this is ridiculous. I got an iPhone because Apple's not supposed to be having these types of issues. I keep having one after the other!

iPhone 4S iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.