Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ipad make a strange noise when i run my hand over the back case when it's charging?

When my ipad is plugged in and charging, if you run your hand/finger/ear over the back case it makes a weird electrical humming noise. Only when the flesh is moving across the case though, not when just resting on the metal.

Is this something I should worry about or just normal?

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:11 PM

Nothing to worry about. The iPad charger allows AC line voltage onto the shell of the iPad, but it is current-limited so you can't be hurt by it. It just feels funny, and I guess in certain circumstances it sounds funny.

Since the charger is not polarized, flip it around in the AC socket and the voltage on the shell may be lower (or higher, depending on how you have it now) so you may notice a difference one way vs. the other. In any case, there is no danger to you nor harm to the iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Collett19

Nothing to worry about. The iPad charger allows AC line voltage onto the shell of the iPad, but it is current-limited so you can't be hurt by it. It just feels funny, and I guess in certain circumstances it sounds funny.

Since the charger is not polarized, flip it around in the AC socket and the voltage on the shell may be lower (or higher, depending on how you have it now) so you may notice a difference one way vs. the other. In any case, there is no danger to you nor harm to the iPad.

Feb 20, 2013 4:29 PM in response to Collett19

AC/DC adapters come in different designs, and the higher current output of the iPad charger uses a different design than the iPhone (or iPad mini) charger. Most adapters these days are "switch-mode" design for better efficiency, but I suspect that the iPad charger may be a linear design, such that one tap of the transformer is tied to the ground lead of the dock cable, and thus the iPad shell.

You'd be shocked (pun intended) to know that the voltage on the iPad shell may be about half your line voltage ... it is about 40-50 VAC here in the US, or if you flip it around (since the US charger is not polarized) it may be only about 20-25 VAC. But as I said, the supply is current-limited, and is well within international safety limits.

Why does my ipad make a strange noise when i run my hand over the back case when it's charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.