Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 service replacement cost greater than new replacement on Apple Store

I recently repaired the cracked screen on my 2 year old iPhone 4 16GB. All went well except I could not reattach the speaker wire which meant the speaker does not work, nor does it get a mobile/gsm signal. After hours of trying to reconnect, I gave up and sent my iphone to Apple for repair. They responded promptly to say it could not be repaired, and they would provide a replacement for £397 + tax which comes out to £476 (sterling). In the UK, an 8GB iPhone 4 new on the Apple store, is £319 inc tax, and a 16GB iPhone 4S is £449 inc tax. When I called Apple Support to ask about the quote, they said that because the phone had been repaired with non Apple parts, this was the price. From other comments posted, if I had not tried to repair the phone myself, I would have been charged about £130 inc tax. Anyone else had a similar experience or have any advice?

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:02 AM

11 replies

Feb 22, 2013 11:27 AM in response to Sussex_Wolf

When you elected to do your own repairs, you forfeited any futher support from Apple including the replacement at Apple's out-of-warranty exchange price. You'll have to pay full price for a new iPhone now. Just go to any Apple Store and buy a new one. Or you can take or send your iPhone to some unauthorized repair shop and see what they can do with it.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

Feb 22, 2013 11:40 AM in response to varjak paw

Or I can buy a Nexus 4 for half the price and deprive Apple of any more of my business. I say this typing on my iPad, and knowing that my wife has my iphone 4 (it was hers which was damaged), and my kids both have iPod touch's. To be fair, I thought the standard out of warranty repair/replacement price was good value given that most times it will be for accidental damage and not for failure of Apple parts, and the response to the service request was prompt and efficient. However, their massively different price for devices repaired by people other than Apple has put me right off buying another iPhone. The price exceeds the cost of a new device from Apple Store. If they had simply said, sorry we cannot repair or replace your device because it has non Apple parts, then I would say fair enough. Why even offer to replace for a price higher than a new phone complete with accessories and a 12 month warranty?

Feb 22, 2013 11:58 AM in response to Sussex_Wolf

OK, then buy a Nexus 4, if you think that would serve you better. Why Apple Service wants to charge you more for the replacement than the cost from an Apple Store I don't know. Perhaps the tech just quoted the wrong price. But again, you can just go to an Apple Store and buy a new iPhone and get it right away. Or you can buy something else. Your call.

Regards.

Feb 22, 2013 12:45 PM in response to Sussex_Wolf

Possibly because the one you got was subsidised in some way by your carrier in excnage for signing up for service with them.

If the price they quoted you was for a service replacement, you probably won't be able to get it at that price since you attempted to repair it yourself. You would likely have to pay the full, unsubsidised retail price for a new phone.

Feb 22, 2013 1:03 PM in response to wegras

If I lived closer to Brighton, then I would have popped in before trying to repair it myself in the first place. If I'd known that trying to repair it myself would impact Apple repairing out of warranty I would also have not touched it. If it were still under warranty, then I would also not have touched it. To be honest, having now done it, I wouldn't again, as it was neither fun nor rewarding!

Iphone 4 service replacement cost greater than new replacement on Apple Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.