Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dropped my Iphone in water and the on/off button stopped working, how do I fix it?

I dropped my phone in some water and it was only in there for about two or three seconds. I grabbed it and dried it straight away and made sure to get in all of it, and it was fine, everything worked. But about an hour after the on/off button stopped working, so i have to use the home button to unlock it and have to wait for the screen to turn off after 1 minute of leaving it. I cant turn it off and dont know how to fix it. Will it go away on its own, do I have to send it off to get fixed? This literally happened like two hours ago, and my phone is a bit more than a year old. Can anyone help me?

iPhone 4

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 12:27 PM

2 replies

Feb 22, 2013 12:42 PM in response to curlyrosie

You should have turned it off and put it in a cool dry place to dry for 5 days or so (you can put it in a bowl of raw rice or new silica gel packets to shorten this a bit). You can try that now but water and electricity do not mix and you may have internal damage. You can do an out-of-warranty replacement for $149 USD.

Feb 22, 2013 12:43 PM in response to curlyrosie

Make an app;ointment at the genius bar and take your credit card. You can get an out of warrnty replacement for an iPhone 4 for $149.

If you had just done it, the advice would have been to shut it off and put it in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice or silica gel for a week. Unfortunately, since it's been powered on for several hours, since then, it may have been permanently damaged. You can try the rice trick, but be prepared to pay for a replacement at some point down the road.

I dropped my Iphone in water and the on/off button stopped working, how do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.