Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4S 6.1.2 upgrade REMOVES SOUND

there's a common problem with iphones where if dirt gets into the connectors, it thinks it is docked therefore making it seem like no sound is coming out

quickest and easiest way to test this is simply, connect it to your pc with the connector and you will see once docked, sound returns

ever since i upgraded to 6.1.2 today my iphone 4s has lost all sound. Can't play music, games, nothing.

All the traditional fixes of the "iphone no sound" problem or the "it thinks its docked" problem do not work.

CONNECTING THE IPHONE TO THE PC does not even restore sound.. the only way to hear sound is thru the headphones

Apple what have you done??? No changes were made to my iphone except for this stupid upgrade. It's not jailbroken. I haven't had problems with it whatsoever.

Fix it

shoddy QA you guys are doing what gives this is a widespread problem.

ANYONE OUT THERE MANAGED TO GET THEIR SOUND BACK after 6.1.2 upgrade??

if so, what did you do?

DO NOT RESET YOUR PHONE. It does nothing.

DO NOT RESTORE YOUR PHONE FROM BACKUP. It does nothing.

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:14 PM

12 replies

Feb 24, 2013 8:36 AM in response to Smashke2

there is a KNOWN bug with the iOS 6 firmwares ever since Apple rolled it out where the iPhone will think it's docked therefore preventing any sound unless you plug in headphones/etc/clean out the docking port/etc

the simplest way to see if your iphone thinks it is docked is if you actually.. DOCK IT to your pc aka connect it

once you plug it in/dock it, sound returns as normal..

the problem with 6.1.2 is that this does not even work. no sound returns whatsoever even while docked

i actually managed to "fix" my problem last night by.. blowing into the docking port. Yes, I blew into it almost pretty much blew my lungs out and somehow my iphone is "fixed"

i have no doubts the problem will reappear though so I hope Apple gets around to fixing it

THERE IS A KNOWN WAY TO FIX THE NO-SOUND PROBLEM FOREVER BUT IT INVOLVES JAILBREAKING. There is no way I'm about to jailbreak my iphone so I pray and hope Apple Engineers are not blindly prideful enough to ignore the 100% guaranteed way to fix this no sound problem

there is a file that needs to be deleted and the no-sound problem will never again return

Feb 27, 2013 6:32 AM in response to Andre Almeida

I agree Andre Almedia. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH DIRT and is completelt 6.1.2 problem

I tried to emphasize that with my initial post by doing the simplest test

DOCK YOUR IPHONE. IF SOUND RETURNS THEN IT THINKS IT'S DOCKED/THERE IS DIRT ON IT

the problem with 6.1.2 is it removes sound completely to the point that even if you dock it, no sound returns

it is completely 6.1.2's fault

Apple's arrogance stops them from even acknowledging they messed up bigtime

highly infuriating no wonder their stock has been dropping

Feb 27, 2013 5:00 PM in response to CharliePrinceBKNY

I have the same sound problem too after updating to ios 6.1.2. But it didn't happen straight away after the update. The sound worked for around half an hour then that was it. I have tried resetting, restoring as brand new, restoring with backup, jailbreaking and restoring back to official ios. None of it worked. I've tried the mute button when you double press Home button and the switch on the side. Still didn't work. I found the blowing of the docking port hilarious but in my desperate attempt to fix it, I tried it too. And the sound worked. I blew again, and it stopped working. Now I've been blowing (the iPad docking port) over and over again until I turn blue but it had not worked. I think I'll just have this serviced. I have a couple of months left for my warranty anyway. I know this is a software problem but I just don't understand how the blowing got it to work even for a few seconds.

IPad 3rd Gen IOS 6.1.2

Feb 27, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Ajetsprt

there IS NO KNOWN FIX for this except 1 that involves Jailbreaking.

Apple introduced a file with their 6.x upgrade which introduced this problem

the most common bug is the iphone thinks it is docked. 6.1.2 specifically introduced a problem that stops all sound period. The iphone doesn't even think it's docked anymore there's no sound coming out regardless if you dock it or not

why apple hasn't

1. acknowledged this widespread problem

2. given an eta on a fix

is beyond me. it's sheer stupidity by apple and arrogance

the known fix involves jailbreaking to delete the file that causes these problems

Jailbreaking is NOT an option to us. Sorry apple

fix your ****. no excuses. FIX YOUR ****

Mar 3, 2013 9:59 AM in response to CharliePrinceBKNY

I'm having the exact same problem as you guys, the sound comes and goes when using my earphones in what appears to be a completely random manner. It's the same without earphones and is definitely linked to the iOS 6.1.2 update as I have never had this problem before. I have paid good money to be able to listen to music from the iTunes Store, and now apple have taken that away from me! I can see why so many people are buying samsungs nowadays, apple is losing its touch with phones.

Please sort this apple,

Regards,

PAYING CUSTOMER.

iphone 4S 6.1.2 upgrade REMOVES SOUND

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.