Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch from one iPhone to another?

I have an iPhone 4S that I've had for a little over a year. I'm very interested in the iPhone 5, but I don't know how - exactly - to go about getting one.

I mean, if I buy a new iPhone from the Apple Store (either online or in the actual store), it will be a new phone with a new plan and number, won't it? I don't want that, I want to replace the 4S on my plan with a 5, but keep the same number. Can I do that through the Apple Store? If so, how? Or do I have to go through AT&T instead? I'm just not sure how to go about doing this.

I don't want to mess around with unlocked phones or anything like that, BTW.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 7:24 PM

16 replies

Feb 24, 2013 7:35 PM in response to Babaganoosh

Apple is not your service provider. They merely sell iPhones that are pre-configured to be used on either Spring, Verizon, or AT&T networks. You still must have the phone registered into the network you chose in order to get service.

Apple does not trade-in phones. You can get all the information from Apple at: iPhone 5 - Buy iPhone with Free Shipping - Apple Store (U.S.).

Mar 1, 2013 8:16 PM in response to roaminggnome

So let me just get this straight...

- The Apple Store website (assuming that's where I buy the new phone) will not ask me whether I'm getting a new number or keeping my old one, and so I don't need to worry about it when I actually buy the new phone itself...

AND

- When activating the new phone for the first time within iTunes, *it* will ask me which of these options I wish to choose? And after it does this, do I need to call AT&T as well, or will iTunes take care of everything?

Mar 1, 2013 8:26 PM in response to Babaganoosh

its very simple, you purchase new iphone, and jst insert your sim card in it. apple dsnt have to do anythn wth wateva service provider you use. that problem cms nly wen u get an iphone on contract (for an example with o2), and thn u want to use at&t in that phn. purchased phns are factory unlocked, they dnt have any issues. so, you can change it.

How do I switch from one iPhone to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.