Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference betyween stock 6600 and 7800 Quad graphic cards

Ref: getting ready to buy a Quad PM.

I'm hearing that the 7800 vs. 6600 improves (reduces) rendering time. I'd like to get some kind of metric that I can use to justify or not to buy the 7800 card rather than stock. The +$350 for the 7800 isn't small change but would be a good investment if it save a bunch of render time over the weeks and months of being used. FCP is the main App in use.

Also, just how does the 7800 card help in reducing the rendering time. Is it that Apple's Core Image technology somehow offloads some of its CPU work to the card and some cards accept this while others don't ?

Thanks... Barry

iPod, Shuffle, 14"iBook, 17" PB, Dual 2.5GHz PM G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6), SwiftData 200, LightScribe DVD

Posted on May 17, 2006 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2006 12:30 PM

Hi Barry;

I don't think you will find that a change of graphics card will help FCP to render more quickly. If you wish to see a thread that confirms this go to 7800 and FCP

Allan
User uploaded file
7 replies

May 17, 2006 12:48 PM in response to BarryXSharp

Barry,

There are a lot of 6600 owners (some with quads) who post in the Aperture forum. A few managed to use a 3rd party video upgrade website - strangedogs. Bottom line is the 6600 is detested by Aperture users, those who upgraded have found a much improved experience. UI sliders are instant and adjustments are visible in real-time, unlike the multi SBBOD experience using the 6600.

Don't get locked-into the 6600 as its not upgradeable from Apple - a SHOCKING disgrace.

So from an Aperture users point of view, Aperture is a heavy user of coreimage, don't buy anything less than the 7800. Check out the Aperture forums for more info. Also check barefeats website where they did a comparison of various graphics cards in heavy coreimage tests. Needless to say the 6600 was lowest, even than some 3-4 year-old AGP cards. For what its worth...

May 19, 2006 6:07 PM in response to BarryXSharp

An update...

Son now is very interested in the QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM card - he must have money to burn, and he does have a big lucrative video job lined up. He's researching this card with his video peers etc and also wants me to research the usefulness of this card. So pls help me.

Sooooo, just what does this QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM card bring to the table for the +$1650 ?

This card is fat in as much as it takes up 2 PCIe slots in the machine. Is it the cooling fan that causes this ?

Apple says "The Quadro FX 4500 boasts 512MB of ultrafast GDDR3 SDRAM." Is this a significant part of the +$1650 ?

Maybe I should make a seperate Topic post for this...

Difference betyween stock 6600 and 7800 Quad graphic cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.