Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with "Generator" when downloading purchased items

I've had to get a new MacBook which is now running OS 10.8.2 with iTunes 11.0.2.

Software Update confirms that everything is up-to-date.

I have set everything up successfully, authorized my new computer and deauthorized my old (stolen) ones.

I am now in the process of trying to download all of my previously purchased music and apps from iTunes. However, every item I download produces the error message:

"There was an unknown problem with "Generator". An unkown error occurred (8268)."

This happens whether I download items individually or simultaneously (when I just get multiple error messages). This is intensely frustrating and I can't find any information on this in Support.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:46 AM

3 replies

Mar 9, 2013 2:25 AM in response to edmundator

I've recently developed the exact same problem as yourself. Running OSX 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro. Only started happening within the last 4 weeks.

I've checked my iTunes account and it thinks that I've got one item to download (presumably, Generator). I have Generator (by the Holloways) and Generator (by the Foo fighters) both in my iTunes library. They are both playing fine. I'd purchased them on iTunes, but a long time ago.

I tried resetting all download warnings (option is halfway down the iTunes account home page) but it made no difference. Can't help but feel that this must be a software glitch following the last iTunes update to 11.0.2.

Mar 9, 2013 8:15 AM in response to Chris McConkey

I contacted apple iTunes support by e-mail. They told me there was a file that I was trying to download that no longer existed on the App Store (I was only trying to download my apps, I don't believe that there was actually one called "generator"). They cleared this for me and I've subsequently downloaded all of my remaining apps with no error messages.

Chris, you might have success the same way.

Problem with "Generator" when downloading purchased items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.