Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S - "other space" problem - restore; not enough space

So - I have the "Other Space" problem where around 8GB of memory is taken up by "other". Everything I read is that this is just some corrupt file problem that apple is refusing to fix, or doesn't know how to fix, or isn't affecting enough users to be worthwhile to fix (probably this last one).

Fair enough. So all the posts that I have read say that "restoring your iphone from backup" is a semi reliable way to solve this issue even though there is no official way to fix it. Ok. So I try this approach only when I click the button I get the following error.

User uploaded file

So... yeah, I know this. It's because there is like 8GB of memory in the "other" space.

User uploaded file

Any suggestions on how to proceed without wiping out all my app information as well?

Thanks -

Chris

I've been generally dissappointed with my apple experience lately. Lots of problems with iMessage on my mac taking up 8-40GB of virtual memory, slowing down my computer, eating up disk space. Submitted several bug reports, tried to find solutions here. No help from anywhere or anyone. Dissappointing.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 2:05 PM

4 replies

Mar 1, 2013 2:22 PM in response to iinami

So that means there is no way to maintain app state across this process? Ie. I can restore contacts, emails, the apps - but the state of the applications will get wiped out through this process.

Is this accurate?

Before I do this, is there any other way to remove the "other" data that I haven't found yet? Or perhaps a way to selectively backup certain parts of the phone state?

Thanks for the response -

Mar 1, 2013 2:29 PM in response to csecure

you are mixing back up and sync, before you go through that make sure you know the difference.

During restore you will lose everything.

Back up is not for you anymore.

the only data you will get back the one you can sync.

And the next step is to figure out what you need and then find a way to sync all of that stuff.

Sorry if it wasn't my answer you expected.

iPhone 4S - "other space" problem - restore; not enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.