Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s standby and usage time the same

Hello

I have an iPhone 4S. I charge it at 1.00 am and sleep. When I wake up 9.00 am in the morning, the phone has 8 hours stand by time, and 7 hours 58 minutes usage time. And its battery is about %70 but my father's iphone's battery is about %95 at same conditions.

So, the phone is using itself while I'm sleeping! Did anybody see a problem like this and solve?

I tried these :

- I reset network settings, after reset all settings.

- I restored the phone and set as new iphone.

- I thought that one app can cause the problem. So I didn't download any applications after the restore. The problem is still happening.

Thank you a lot.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 2:08 PM

23 replies

Mar 2, 2013 5:45 PM in response to alper0812

If you have any email accounts other than POP accounts turn them off or delete them and reboot the phone by holding the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears. Check the battery. If it has stopped draining, add them back and it should be OK.

If it is still draining with the accounts deleted run the battery down until the phone shuts off and does not restart, then charge for 4 hours with the wall charger. This should fix it. If it doesn't please post back.

Mar 3, 2013 5:30 AM in response to alper0812

Thank you very much for your answers, but my concern is not "using" battery percentage, it's "stanby" mode. This night I checked it again, while I was sleeping, the phone's charge went down %31. Didn't touch the phone exactly, I was sleeping. And it seems to be in use in that time, not standby.

Today I will wait until the phone shuts itself down, and charge after that. I will post the result, thank you again.

Mar 3, 2013 8:04 AM in response to alper0812

I think, I understand your concern now, but the reason we use "usage" mode as an example the "real" standby mode does not exist for you yet. While you making changes to the phone it is updating/restoring/locating and so on. Give it overnight on charging cable. Make sure it is charged to 100 and stayed on charger at least half an hour past that charge. Then give it a day of standby/use and then look at the behavior overnight and next day. By that time your standby will be real, unless you keep making changes to the phone. Don't worry about thanking me, I come here to learn. Just like you.

Mar 28, 2013 11:09 AM in response to alper0812

I had a similar problem. Usage time was almost the same as stand by time (just 30-40 minutes difference) and battery drained very fast.

Couple of months ago my employer gave me a corporate SIM-card which I put into my iPhone 4S. I noticed that battery drained in about 12 hours against 1.5 day before. I started with replacing battery - that did not help. Then I did resets, restores, changes of Apple ID. Nothing helped. So eventually I figured out that usage time was almost the same as standby time and the only reason that caused it was the SIM-card. I put my old SIM-card and the usage time dropped causing battery life to go back to normal (30-40 hours). I studied both SIM-cards carefully and noted that my old SIM-card had 6 pins, while the corporate SIM-card had 8 pins. Both cards are from the same operator.

To confirm my conclusion I did a little research. Five other persons in my company had iPhone 4S with iOS 6 or higher. All of them had SIM-cards from the same operator which I did. Some of them had corporate SIM-cards, some had private ones. Two of them had 8-pin SIM-cards and had usage time almost the same as standby time. Three of them had 6-pin SIM-cards and their usage time was times less than standby time.

So I applied to the operator to replace my 8-pin SIM-card with 6-pin SIM-card.They did not have 6-pin micro SIM-cards, only mini which I cut to fit onto my iPhone 4S. Now the usage time and battery life are back to normal.

Just a few things I found while solving this problem:

1. With faulty SIM-card battery drains even in Airplane Mode. So it's not some application or mail causing the usage time.

2. iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 seem to be unaffected by 8-pin SIM-card. Usage time of iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 with 8-pin SIM-cards from the same operator I have are fine. So it may be purely iPhone 4S problem (so it's not operator, unfortunately I could not find anyone with iPhone 4S with SIM-card from another operator).

3. It's not iOS issue because iPhone 4S' I surveyed had different versions.

5. Changing SIM-card helped to solve battery drain issue here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3391947?answerId=16911877022#16911877022 (note that the SIM-card that caused excessive battery drain has 8 pins and the new one has 6 pins) which may also point to iPhone 4S rather than operator.

Aug 8, 2013 2:42 AM in response to alper0812

Hi there this is my first and probably last post, iv had the same problem as everyone else i tried everything n nothing worked but guess what did work ? All i did was clean the conector port on the bottom of the phone and its all sorted, took me a week n a half of debugging , so to all those people who have been down the same road of deleting apps n email adresses changing settings n rebooting 1000 times just try and clean the usb conector where u plug ur charger in. My phone can now easily be on standby for 100 hours plus just like it was before.

Oct 21, 2013 3:33 AM in response to alper0812

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to reply here because I had the same problem and was able to fix it. I'm not sure if this is going to work for you or anyone else who's having this problem but it's worth the try. It's been suggested already, namely restoring your iPhone as a new advice but I want to describe how it happened and what I did.

I've got a iPhone 4S and the problem started when I had accidentally opened the app called Bump. I just tapped it accidentally, realised that I had opened the wrong app and pressed the home button to hide it. From that moment on, my iPhone kept showing it was using the location service via the GPS icon. There was nothing I could do to make it disappear, beside disabling location services, but the moment I turned it back on, the icon was there again.

I tried resetting my iPhone, turning it off and on, removing Bump from my 'active apps list' but nothing worked, it kept showing that my phone was using the location sevice and my battery was losing juice rapidly. I decided to remove Bump and that made the GPS icon finally disappear. However, my battery was still draining quite fast. That was in iOS 6.1.3, so I decided to upgrade to iOS 7, hoping that that would solve my problem.

But it made my battery drain even faster and I too noticed that my usage time was exactly the same as my stand by time. My fully charged iPhone would last half a day, where normally, it would last for days.

So I decided to make a back-up first, then reset my iPhone to factory defaults (erasing all data and applications) and used it for half a day with only my SIM card enabled to see if I still had a battery drain and that was not the case. Then I restored the back-up on my iPhone and everything's working again like before, even better. I charged my iPhone to 100% and 14 hours later, I'm still at 94%.

So in my case, it was clear that something was hogging up resources and that it could only be removed by completely erasing my iPhone. I just wish there was a way on the iPhone to make it reset it's entire memory, like you'd reboot a computer.

Hope it helps!

Mar 3, 2014 10:20 AM in response to alper0812

I know this a very old thread but we are also having the same usage time and stand-by time since 7.0.6.

We (my wife and I) are having the same battery problem since iOS7.06 on our iPhone 4S - 16GB.

The stand-by time and usage time indicate the same time. In the past we were able to use our phones without charging between 07AM and 10PM (iOS7.04) but since 7.06 we need to charge our phones around 5/6PM.

We already tried quite a few things:

- press home + power button for about 10 seconds and wait till apple logo comes up

- turned off/on phone

- removed sim

- flightmode on/off

- bluetooth off

- only use WIFI home, work, at family, friends (so no 3G)

- removed e-mail accounts and connected them again (e.g. Gmail account)

- to reduce the battery drain for a but we already changed these things or added these:

* fetch e-mail per hour (2 accounts) - no changes there (was already the case on iOS7.04)

* no dynamic wallpaper - no changes there (was already the case on iOS7.04)

* iCloud > 'Find my iPhone' is turned off, only contacts and agenda are on

* Privacy > Locations' > only a limited amout of apps is turned on which we rarely use during weekdays: Google Maps, Kaarten, Weer

System: only compas calibration is on. - no changes there (was already the case on iOS7.04)

* Reduce motion: off

* Refresh apps in background: completely off - no changes there (was already the case on iOS7.04)

* Siri > off - no changes there (was already the case on iOS7.04)

* Message center > only on for (phone, messages, agenda, facetime and whatsapp) with badges, sounds or bars

* Settings > 'General' > 'Set again' > 'recover all settings' done but doesn't make any difference

I hope iOS7.1 will be the cure for our phones again to have no more battery issues (drain) anymore.

Mar 3, 2014 10:37 AM in response to pacorob

Sorry you wasted time with all of those ineffective steps. The problem is simple. It is NOT the version you updated to. It is the fact that the update interrupted some app that was in the process of sending data, and the app got stuck in a loop. 7.1 will probably fix it, but not because it's 7.1 - but because it will force you to restore the phone again. Try these steps instead. Test after each step, and if the standby and usage times stop tracking don't go any further.

• Turn the phone off - Hold the top (SLEEP) button until you see "Slide to power off", then do so. Wait about a minute and turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears.
  • Reset the phone by holding the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears (you will not lose any data)
  • Kill all apps - double press the HOME button, then flick the screen image for each app up until there are none left. Then Reset the phone as in the previous step.
  • Run the battery all the way down until the phone shuts off. Wait about 10 minutes, then charge it to 100% (a low battery shutoff kills all processes, both apps and background processes that may be stuck).
  • If the problem persists after all of these launch iTunes, go to Preferences, Devices pane, and check "Prevent iPods, etc from syncing automatically", then connect the phone to iTunes, click on its name in iTunes, and click the Restore iPhone button. When prompted, restore your most recent backup from your computer or iCloud.
  • If this doesn't fix it repeat the Restore and this time set up as a new phone. After you have set up the phone restore your backup using iTunes and then sync.
  • Finally, Restore a 3rd time and set up as a new phone and do not restore your backup. This is guaranteed to fix the problem, but it means manually reloading all of your apps and data. It's also very unlikely that you will have to do this.

iphone 4s standby and usage time the same

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.