Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I update my unlocked iphone 4 from Japan to the latest version of iOS (6.1.2))?

hi to the million users of iphone.. I have a big problem and I know you can help me.. I got an iphone from Japan, when my auntie gave it to me it's already unlocked and I didn't need to go to a mobile shop to get it unlocked here in the philippines.. My iphone 4 has been running an iOS 4 and I'm afraid to update it to i0S 6.1 cause I read different problems that when the installation of iOS 6.1 is already complete, the phone will probably be stucked on activation screen. I just want to make sure before doing any updates for it may be a wrong move, I need help guys, help me please. Can I update to iOS6.1? I'm a little bit worried if what will happen after i update my iphone from iOS 4 to 6.1... I'm still using my phone now but I just wanna know if I can update it, I have also read that the phone would be relocked again after updating it, is this true+ I need your opinion guys. thanks, God bless everyone.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:56 AM

12 replies

Mar 3, 2013 8:59 AM in response to justlhezz

Since there are no officially unlocked iPhones in Japan...none of the carriers there offer unlocking, that means your phone was hacked to unlock it. So, if you attempt to update or restore, it will be re-locked to the carrier it was originally locked to in Japan. There is no way to get any Japanese iPhone officially unlocked.

Mar 3, 2013 9:00 AM in response to justlhezz

I'm afraid to update it to i0S 6.1 cause I read different problems that when the installation of iOS 6.1 is already complete, the phone will probably be stucked on activation screen.

This will not occur unless the phone was hacked to illegally unlock it. Only the carrier can unlock a phone, so either you bought it from an authorized source as factory unlocked, or you had the carrier unlock it. If by "mobile phone shop" you mean someone other than the carrier, these people will hack your phone.

Mar 3, 2013 9:00 AM in response to justlhezz

As already provided:

Since there are no officially unlocked iPhones in Japan...none of the carriers there offer unlocking, that means your phone was hacked to unlock it. So, if you attempt to update or restore, it will be re-locked to the carrier it was originally locked to in Japan. There is no way to get any Japanese iPhone officially unlocked.

Mar 4, 2013 1:19 AM in response to wjosten

thank you sir for the helpful reply, if my iphone 4 was hacked ,can a mobile shop in philippines rehack it again ? but this time with iOS 6.1.2? I dont know the term but one thing I know was I didn't need to open it here in the philippines cause when I put the simcard inside the iphone it worked and everything was fine, I could send text and make calls sir. As of now, I'm planning to go to a mobile shop and ask them to update it for me, my only worry is when my iphone gets stuck on activation screen. can they solve it if my worry happens? my cousin experienced the same thing, her iphone 4s was stucked on the activation screen, it was sold to her mom by a mobile shop and I think it was not brand new, she tried activating it on the itunes here in the philippines but it didn't work and a mobile shop said it would not be activated because it was unlocked..

Sir, if ever that my iphone 4 was hacked from any carrier in japan? what will happen if I update it to ios 6.1.2. will it be stucked? what is the best thing to do sir, I want to update mine so I can use different applications taht require iOS6? HELP 😟

Mar 4, 2013 2:28 AM in response to justlhezz

If the phone has been hacked and you try to update it to iOS 6.1.2, then it may not activate and you will be left with a useless brick that you cannot use.

By all accounts the phone must have been hacked as there are no unlocked Japanese iPhones available.

There is nothing that you can do here - if you update a hacked phone, then it will probably be bricked and you won't be able to use it so you really have 2 choices - you can keep the phone as it is and not update it and you will still be able to use it, or you can travel to a country that sells officially unlocked iPhones - an Apple store in that country and purchase an unlocked iPhone that you will be able to use without hacking.

can I update my unlocked iphone 4 from Japan to the latest version of iOS (6.1.2))?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.