Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.

I just innocently clicked on update software as I had iTunes open and it prompted me.

I am quite sure I said to do backuop when it asked me.

Now I see that the phone has lost its ID under devices listen in iTunes

and I get the following message:

iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.

If I click on this, it warns me that factory settings will be restored and that data will be lost.

Why is this happening? All I was doing was updating software...

Also, I am not sure whether the back up that I did would have included everything on the phone including pictures...

Is this really the only option open to me now - to do a factory restore?

How can I check whether there is a back up in iTunes and what it includes

How can I check whether iCloud has a back up (would be without the pictures)

Any help gratefully accepted....

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 12:20 PM

In iTunes go to Preferences, devices tab. It will list the latest backup.

Yes, restoring it is the only option. At the end of the Restore you will be prompted to restore the backup. And yes, the backup includes pictures.

Before restoring maximize your chance of success:

• Reboot your computer
  • Disable your antivirus and firewall
  • Use a USB port directly on the computer, not a hub
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2013 12:20 PM in response to clogcity

In iTunes go to Preferences, devices tab. It will list the latest backup.

Yes, restoring it is the only option. At the end of the Restore you will be prompted to restore the backup. And yes, the backup includes pictures.

Before restoring maximize your chance of success:

• Reboot your computer
  • Disable your antivirus and firewall
  • Use a USB port directly on the computer, not a hub

Mar 5, 2013 12:50 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hello Lawrence

After doing the factory reset it did find the back up. And luckily it showed I did do a backup tonight. Hooray!

However, before I started the process - and this is what it made so uncomfortable like jumping into a black iPhone shaped hole - I could not see the backups listed beforehand though as under File>Devices the backup option was greyed out and there was no further detail to be seen.

Well the iPhone is restored but a lot of apps are missing. What do you recommend I do to fix that?

thanks!

Jun 2, 2014 9:58 AM in response to clogcity

I have a problem on my iphone 5 - similar to the ones being spoken about. From what i am reading, I have no choice but to restore my phone, and i haven't done a back up. this is my work phone and quite frankly it is going to be seriously inconvienant if i were to lose my contacts. is there anyway i can cancel this software update? currently my phone is showing me the screen with the icon asking me to connect to itunes. i have just downloaded itunes on my laptop and it is telling me that iphone is in recovery mode and i have to restore it

I REALLY DONT WANT THE SOFTWARE UPDATE!!! PLEASE HELP ME!! I DO NOT WANT TO RESTORE MY PHONE!!!!

Jun 2, 2014 2:12 PM in response to karuna rupani

There is no solution that will restore all of your data if you never took advantage of any of the several backup options available for the iPhone. Just like any computing device, it is your responsibility to back up your data.

• If you synced your contacts, calendar, notes and email with iCloud you will not lose any of these.
  • If you backed up to iCloud you can restore everything that was on your phone.
  • If you have an MS Exchange email account that will also restore all Exchange data (mail, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks).

Those are the only options I can think of. Once the phone is in Recovery mode all data is already gone.

Dec 25, 2016 2:54 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

greetings Lawrence,

i have a bit of a problem here... and it is, since i've updated my iPhone 6 to the latest software version 10.2, my iTunes and my Mac won't recognize my device..

i have tried DFU mode and recovery mode, but whenever it gets to the end at expanding software the 'invalid response was received from the device' or 'this device isn't eligible for the requested build' shows up..

before i did the software update, i did the backup, so i'm trying to return everything as it was to my phone, but since my device is not read by iTunes and Mac, i have no idea how to solve this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.