Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ipad mini shut down completely and then reboots? I am not jailbroken!

Why does my ipad mini shut down completely and then reboots? I am not jailbroken!

Ipad mini-OTHER, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:35 PM

When does this happen? Does it stay on the home screen long enough to back it up?

10 replies

Mar 8, 2013 5:44 PM in response to Boss123567

First try to reset it by holding the power and home buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo, then release. (Probably won't work, but worth trying first.) If it continues to restart, you'll have to try to force it into recovery mode to restore it, as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808. After restoring you'll be given the option to restore to an existing backup, if you have one.

Mar 11, 2013 2:46 PM in response to Boss123567

Try restoring it as new, without using your backup or sycing. If it continues to do this after that you probably have a hardware problem and need to make an appointment at the Genius bar at a nearby Apple store to have it looked at. If this fixes things, then their is something corrupt in your backup causing this. If that's the case you'll have to restore to your backup, save as much of your data as you can, then restore it as new again and start over.

Mar 15, 2013 10:02 PM in response to Boss123567

Mine reboots only when its plugged in to a wall or a computer. Ive replaced the cable, the wall USB thing, even tried other outlets in my house and at work. Its DEF something in the ipad power connector, software glitch, or something. Its infuriating because ive sent mine back to apple twice only to have them say The cant reproduce it?! All I have to do is plug it in.

I hope yours stays normal.

Aug 19, 2013 10:03 PM in response to Boss123567

The issue seems to be a problem with the power supply. My iPad mini shuts off randomly aswell. I continuously plug in my iPad mini to my 12 watt power adapter, not the 5 watt the iPad came with.

The problem occurs most often when I plug my iPad mini into my car power which runs at 15 Watts. Unfortunately I don't think there is a fix to this problem since the damage done is most likely to the Logic's board hardware. Resetting the iPad to factory settings may flush some memory cells, But I don't think there is a Software fix for this problem.

The same problem occurs with my iPhone 4S and my iPhone 4 for similar reasons to the power surge Damage that causes my iPad mini to Randomly reset itself.

After the problem occurs, go to settings and under "Diagnostics and usage" You'll see a crash report with the panic list with this at the bottom.

CRC ERR! Aka "Hardware failure"

It's a Generic term but my best guess is that it is a spike in the PowerCell's causing an immediate shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.