Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4S will not sync with iTunes

(This a recent problem for me. I used to have no trouble syncing my phone.)

When I try to sync my iPhone 4S with iTunes, it does not sync any music, movies, books, or photos. All my apps are still available on the phone.

I have the latest version of iTunes and iOS. I have tried every possible combination of settings, I have restarted my MacBook Pro and my iPhone, I have done a "restore from backup" on my phone, I have restored the phone to factory settings and then tried to sync, and I have tried disconnecting the phone multiple times. The only thing I can think of that I have not tried yet is reinstalling iTunes, but I haven't had the time to try that yet.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and solved it? If so, could you give me any tips on how to fix this?

Much appreciated!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:39 PM

47 replies

Mar 11, 2013 2:52 PM in response to Eric Ross

My computer recognizes the phone, and I can flip through the sync options. The problem is that when I press "sync," It says it syncs, but it does not place any music, videos, books, or photos onto my phone. The data bar at the bottom of iTunes only has "Other" (just a few GB, which is normal for me anyway).

Apr 17, 2013 8:51 PM in response to Stefhanny

I still have not solved it, and I have no idea how. I have not synced it with my iTunes in five weeks. I noticed a lot of people have this problem, but every Internet discussion I find has a different solution, none of which have worked for me. Please let me know if you do find a solution. I would be really grateful.

Apr 21, 2013 10:23 PM in response to sbh42

I was going nuts trying to reconcile the issue with my iPhone 4S not syncing with iTunes. Songs always came up gray on the phone even when changed to AAC format. My partner with the same type of phone was having no problems. Eventually & accidentally I used her USB cable & found the problem was solved. Seemed I’d been using an older iPhone/IiPod cable. We have had problems using cables for iPads, iPhones & iPods with different devices; seems the cables are not compatible across devices. Hope this helps. It certainly has helped me defer a trip to the loony bin.

Apr 21, 2013 10:52 PM in response to sbh42

My wives iPhone4 will sometimes have a problem where her iPhone won't even show up as a device on her MacBook. It always seems to happen IF she forgets her charger and uses someone elses computer as a way of charging it up.

We got her extra chargers so this is no longer an issue, but this has never happened to my iPhone and I use other computers all the time for charging purposes. Go figure.

Until we got the extra chargers, the only cure we ever found was to delete and reinstall iTunes.

Adam

Apr 25, 2013 5:20 PM in response to JTFB

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I already tried two different cables, but I decided to try again. I used the same old cable I had been using before, and it worked. After a month and a half, the problem magically fixed itself. I didn't change any settings or hardware. The only thing I did differently was install the Apple OS X updates from the last month.

I'm sorry I do not know why it did not work the first time or why it works now. I wish I could help everyone who is still having this problem. My only suggestion to you all is installing all your computer's updates, especially iTunes, and trying a different cable. Good luck!

Apr 26, 2013 6:36 AM in response to freshladd

Same problem here with my 4S

Latest OS on Macbook air and iPhone

Latest iTunes

Tried 2 different USB cables in both USB ports

Reset iPhone

Restarted Macbook

Clicked my heels together 3 times

repeated there is no place like home 3 times

Still no Sync action

It goes through the motions of sync but nothing happens.

If I rearrange icons on iTunes, they dont change on 4S

If I select an app to be deleted on iTunes it does not delete on phone.

If I deselect iPhoto sync it still insists on syncng photos

The lights are on but nobody's home...

Anyone have a clue?

Apr 29, 2013 12:40 AM in response to sbh42

I also have this issue lately, I have an iPhone 4. I set my iTunes to auto-sync but sad to say it did not work unlike with my 3gs, before it works smoothly with no issues. I tried re-installing iTunes still no avail, but when I tried to to manually sync it suddenly work. The sad thing is it only sync my musics, contacts, and photos no apps, it will stuck at step 3 then suddenly stops. There is thing called "iTool" I tried that and it did install my apps with no problems but again, when I try to access the apps it suddenly stops and goes back to the home screen. LOL..

If you have any suggestions or solutions please post it. Thanks in advance..

May 7, 2013 9:14 PM in response to sbh42

I am so glad this isn't just me! I know how to sync devices to my itunes account. I have an iphone 4s, an ipad and an ipod touch and have NEVER had a problem until one of the new upgrades or something. For a long time now, I have not been able to sync ONE THING. This is not worth even having bec my music (and nothing else on itunes) can be used. This is ridiculous and I have tried every cord (including the two we got the phones with) and nothing is working or even resembling working.

I am at the point of getting rid of this and finding anything other than itunes for my music.

My iPhone 4S will not sync with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.