Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force closing apps??

My iPad just recently started force closing nearly all of my apps, after 5-10 minutes. Or if I'm on Facebook if I click on a link or a movie it will also close then. It happens to enough of my apps where I am thinking g it's the iPad itself and not the app. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this?? Also my battery has really started sucking lately, I used to be able to charge it every 2 days and now I am lucky if it lasts the entire day. It's a first generation iPad.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:01 PM

First thing to try is to reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously ignoring the red slider should one appear until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

7 replies

Mar 13, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Brittywest05

Sounds like your apps are crashing. Maybe there is too much going on on the iPad and it's resources are being taxed to the point where the apps just close down. The iPad original does not have as much RAM as the the iPad 2 or the newest iPads - the 3 & 4.

This is basic stuff - give it a try.

Quit ALL apps completely and reboot the iPad. Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Double tap the home button and the recents tray will appear with all of your recent apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Tap the home button or anywhere above the task bar.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

This can also help if Safari is closing on you. Go to Settings>Safari>Clear Cookies and Data.

Mar 14, 2013 9:24 AM in response to Brittywest05

I think that because you are using the original iPad and running iOS 5.1.1, you may have to keep an eye on a few things. I am of the belief that memory intensive apps will cause problems. My thinking is totally anti-iOS thinking on how it should work. The iOS should handle theses situations for you but IMO it doesn't always work.

I can only suggest that you take note of which apps crash and when they crash, see if you pickup any pattern and try to learn from that - meaning that maybe you should close certain apps when you are watching videos, or working in other apps.

Other than that, I don't think that there is a lot more that you can do - unless you want to restore the iOS software which is certainly a possibility and maybe become a necessity if the crashing continues.

See how this goes for a while, and if you think its necessary, restore the iOS. Backup your iPad first and reinstall the iOS and see how that works.

Apr 21, 2013 3:05 PM in response to Brittywest05

Its the ipad. I followed every person's suggestion that I can find. I even deleted everything and started over again and its doing it less but still doing it. It doesnt matter what app I am using. I think its an iOs issue that apple wont fix because they have already deemed the ipad 1 as completely useless and irrelevant after 2 yrs and are not going to update our operating system again.

Apr 21, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Katee Bo Batee

Frozen or unresponsive iPad

Resolve these most common issues:

• Display remains black or blank

• Touch screen not responding

• Application unexpectedly closes or freezes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/ipad/

iPad Frozen? How to Force Quit an App, Reset or Restart Your iPad

http://ipadacademy.com/2010/11/ipad-frozen-how-to-force-quit-an-app-reset-or-res tart-your-ipad

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 21, 2013 5:45 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

I dont think youre understanding what the issue is. The screen doesnt go black or blank or become unresponsive. Nor does the application freeze or is it just one application. It is quite literally every application. I go to say homedepot.com on safari and it force closes and goes to the home screen. I open safari again and maybe it will work for 5 minutes and then force close. This is for every application despite being fully updated and charged, reset (including opening the recent application bar and closing all of those and resetting it) and performing a full restore which was awful. I encrypted the backup on my computer with a password (that I wrote down) but when I tried to restore it the password did not match, no password I use matches. This is also an unfortunately common issue for the ipad 1. So now I have an ipad that I have to completely set up again, which is impossible since it takes me 10 mins to download even one app because that too force closes. I dont mean to be harsh but its incredibly frustrating.

Force closing apps??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.