Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone and photo stream?

Hello, on my old iPhone, I didn't have iCloud backup, however I did take photos and let them upload to photo stream. I've just got a new iPhone, will my pictures on my photo stream automatically download to this iPhone or are they lost? I did not sync my old iPhone to any other device.

Thank you

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 1:26 AM

10 replies

Mar 14, 2013 2:50 AM in response to Chloe107

Photos taken before Photo Stream is enabled will not get sent to the stream on a newly activated device. Only the photos taken after Photo Stream is enabled on the devices will be transferred. So any photos you took on your old iPhone, before you got your new iPhone, will not show on your new iPhone.

Photo Stream is temporary storage only. You have a 1000 photo and 30 day limit. They need to be imported/saved to your computer.

Mar 14, 2013 8:09 AM in response to DavidFerriby

There is an option you can set in iPhoto to import pictures from Photo Stream into your iPhoto library (Events, Photos, Places, and Faces). They stick around after the photos are gone from Photo Stream. For example, the iPhoto on this Mac still has a "Dec 2011 Photo Stream" event with pictures taken then even though the Photo Stream on this Mac only goes back to August 2012.

This is set in iPhoto > Preferences > Photo Stream. Check "My Photo Stream" and "Automatic Import" below it.

Of course, you have to be sure that iPhoto runs from time to time to gather new photos from the iCloud Photo Stream. How often it needs to run depends on how fast you roll photos off the end of the 1,000 picture limit.

Remember that Photo Stream doesn't handle movies.

New iPhone and photo stream?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.