Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display size of PDF created by Pages in Browsers

Hi,

I have created a document using pages and exported it as PDF.

Looking at it in Pages (scale 100%) is fine. It prints DIN A4 perfectly.

I put it on my Web-Server and put a link to it . Except for Firefox, no matter what other browser I try it comes up huge. I know, one can change the display scale in most browsers, (can't find it in IE8) but it is a nuisance. Other peoples PDF's don't seem to do this. Has it to do with it being created by Pages or does anyone know any other reason/solution?

Thanks

-Paul-

Pages iMac-OTHER

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 5:14 AM

7 replies

Mar 17, 2013 7:50 AM in response to PaulWhite

Paul,

I expect that Peter is correct because he has lots of experience with Acrobat, but I'm curious about your changing paper size in Preview. I didn't suggest that you change it, just that you set it properly in Preview's Print dialog, in case it somehow had defaulted to something else.

I wasn't aware of the display size flag that both you and Peter seem to be familiar with, so disregard my suggestion.🙂

Regards,

Jerry

Mar 17, 2013 8:03 AM in response to PaulWhite

Pages PDF generation is not the problem.

With the same Acrobat Reader 11.0.02 installed on Windows 7 and OS X 10.8.3, the page display resolution reported by Reader on OS X is 81 ppi, and on Windows, as 96 ppi. Simply put, the same PDF, at the same enlargement setting, would image smaller on OS X than when viewed on Windows 7.

You can test this easily. On the Mac, open a PDF in Reader. Open the Reader preferences and visit Page display > Resolution. Key in 96 ppi and press ok. The PDF image enlarges.

Browsers that still use the Acrobat PDF plugin, or use Reader as a helper application, allow the user to change the viewed PDF enlargement setting, but not the display resolution used. Browsers that offer built-in PDF viewing support (Chrome, Firefox 19) do not. I changed the Reader page display resolution preference, and the Acrobat PDF plug-in did not change viewed PDF size. Even on a refresh of the PDF. It may be hard-wired to use the system default or a calculated default -- perhaps as do the Chrome and current Firefox PDF solutions.

Display size of PDF created by Pages in Browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.