Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 2 gets stuck in a boot cycle

2 weeks ago, i left my ipad 2 to go to bed. when i woke up, the device had turned itself off. it was about 90% charged before i went to bed. upon attempting to turn it back on in the morning, the apple logo screen was reached and then some white text similar to cmd text appeared on the side of the screen. The text said something about NAND driver, memory= 0 and some other things i didnt catch. the device then restarted and got to the same screen again, before continuing to restart and display that screen.

I attempted to restore the ipad via itunes (latest version) in restore mode and DFU mode. Each time i got the error 1611. Reading the error codes, i uninstalled my antivirus and itunes and reinstalled itunes. i then ran itunes in windows 7 compatibility mode as administrator. I still got the error.

I took the device to my friends house who tried to restore it, in restore mode in a usb 2.0 port but got the error 1613 i think. After this we tried restore mode and DFU mode in a 3.0 port. these both failed and gave error 21. looking at this code, we then used DFU mode in the 2.0 port and the device restored and updated from ios 5.3 to 6.1.2.

the device has worked fine for 2 weeks up until today when midway through a game, it turned off and i get stuck in the same boot cycle again.

what could be wrong with it and what can be done? the device is refurbished and within its 1 year warranty.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.2, Refurbished

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 10:05 AM

You sure did your due diligence with the device. As to what could be wrong with it, that I cannot answer. Since it is still within the one year warranty, I would make an appointment at an Apple Store Genius Bar and explain in detail what you just explained here. Let them deal with it.

Chances are, even if you get it working again, this problem will rear its ugly head again, so take it in for evaluation.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2013 10:05 AM in response to jcm_uk

You sure did your due diligence with the device. As to what could be wrong with it, that I cannot answer. Since it is still within the one year warranty, I would make an appointment at an Apple Store Genius Bar and explain in detail what you just explained here. Let them deal with it.

Chances are, even if you get it working again, this problem will rear its ugly head again, so take it in for evaluation.

Mar 17, 2013 10:27 AM in response to jcm_uk

I just can't think of any other software fixes that might work since you have done everything imaginable and recommended by Apple - at least to the best of my knowledge.

There is one sort of off the wall thing that you can try, but frankly, I don't think that it will make any difference at all. I have read here in the forum to let the iPad battery totally drain until it shuts off, recharge the battery for about a half an hour, and then try restoring again. I don't know if this is an urban legend, or if it really works. I don't see what difference that would make anyway other than you would be restoring the software after letting the battery drain.

You have restored the iOS and downloaded it again using DFU mode and that hasn't worked. My assumption would be that there has to be some hardware issue going on. A faulty connection inside the device, a bad chip.... Something non software related.

ipad 2 gets stuck in a boot cycle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.