Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best iPad writing app with very good formatting support?

I'm looking for an app that can create and edit documents. The most important things for me are formatting and structure, and the ability to insert pictures. Page breaks would be nice too. Free and cheap are preferable :-)

Any ideas? Thanks!

iPad, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:38 AM

You are asking for a word processor which is different from a text editor. You can have a few responses but I would recommend Pages. It's not free but you do get it on the iPad and iPhone. You can add images and it will retain some formatting. The best part is iCloud sync. But if you want free you are not going to get that for the features. It's a lot of work to do that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2013 5:38 AM in response to David LaPierre

You are asking for a word processor which is different from a text editor. You can have a few responses but I would recommend Pages. It's not free but you do get it on the iPad and iPhone. You can add images and it will retain some formatting. The best part is iCloud sync. But if you want free you are not going to get that for the features. It's a lot of work to do that.

Mar 18, 2013 10:48 AM in response to David LaPierre

David LaPierre wrote:

I'm looking for an app that can create and edit documents. The most important things for me are formatting and structure, and the ability to insert pictures. Page breaks would be nice too. Free and cheap are preferable :-)

I don't know of any that are free that are recommended (there may well be some). Pages, Documents to Go and Quick Office are the ones most frequently recommeded. I'd take a look at them in the App Store, maybe the developer's websites and see what seems to make the most sense to you.

Best of luck.

Mar 18, 2013 11:14 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ya OK, I have to learn to be more specific.😊 I realize Microsoft does not make apps for iOS but other developers do make apps that integrate and work better with Microsoft's products.

What I meant is an app better suited to saving windows formats, but I guess Pages can do this as well. The Pages app saves Pages files by default which requires you to share the document to save it as a Word document. Other Work suites which are built more for Windows users will save Word documents by default if you also use Word to edit the documents on the PC as well. It may work better now, it has been my experience you will find formatting issues when converting documents between the different file types.

Best iPad writing app with very good formatting support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.