Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing

I have an iPad3 and when I tap Music (or video) there's no "MORE" nor "IPOD" to select, hence can't set up HOME SHARING.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:34 PM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2013 3:52 PM in response to juanmalinis

On the iPad you turn on home sharing in the settings.

Settings>Music>Home Sharing. Sign in with your Apple ID. When you want to home share music with your computer, go to the Music app and tap the More Button at the bottom of the app in order to get to the Shared library.

Do the same thing in the settings for Videos and the shared button will appear at the top of the Videos App.

Mar 20, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Demo

OK - I work in IT and am so embarassed to write this... but:

I can't sync ipad with macbookpro on iTunes

When I click 'more' on music icon I don't get the option to chose laptop iTunes playlist.

On iPhone workss fine... what is going on?

Used all of apple forums but not getting anywhere... gob smacked that I can't google answer !

Mar 20, 2013 5:20 PM in response to backspin71

Are you absolutely certain that you have Home Sharing enabled in the iPad settings? You are using the same Apple ID on the iPad that you are using in iTunes on the MBP?

You should see a Share option when you tap the More button if everything is setup and working properly.

When you say that you can't sync the iPad with the MBP you are speaking in reference to this home sharing issue is that correct? Because syncing the iPad is something totally different than using Home Sharing.

Mar 21, 2013 9:53 AM in response to Demo

Im signed into itunes on macbook and have enabled home sharing.

On iphone i press music button and then more where it lists the itunes share on laptop. Works fine.

On ipad i have gone to settings and selected music and entered my apple id and password.

When i click on music button it only lists genre - there is no option to choose anything else.

Im baffled.

Mar 21, 2013 10:33 AM in response to backspin71

Are you sure your iPad is on the same subnet? My house is in a state of transition between two wifi setups, and sometimes one or another of my devices wanders from the old base station to the new one in test mode, which is using a different 192.168.x.y subnet.

The whole Sharing menu in Music does not appear if the device doesn't see a Home Sharing server in the same subnet.

Mar 22, 2013 12:14 AM in response to Demo

Hi Demo,

Yep, copied 2 playlists across so there is music and its playable.

Hi Markmwsn,

Yep, they are on the same subnet, router, I've also rebooted router and turned off iphone in case it was interferring.

it works dead easy on the iphone, I'm tempted to connect both laptop and ipad to a different router and try that. I can't see why the ipad would be any different than the iphone as that is working ok.

Mar 22, 2013 6:04 AM in response to backspin71

If you have another router handy, backspin71, that sounds like a good test.

Just for the record:

Has this iPad ever found your MacBook Pro's library on Home Sharing, or is this the first time you've tried connecting it?

What models are the iPad and MBP?

What software levels are they running?

One thing to recheck: If the Apple ID you are using for Home Sharing is an iCloud Apple ID that was once a MobileMe Apple ID, are you using the same variant (both @icloud.com, both @me.com, or even both @mac.com if the ID is old enough)?

A comprehensive test you might want to try:

Sign the MBP, iPhone, and iPad out of Home Sharing.

Shut down all three devices (any order).

Shut down and reboot the router.

Reboot all three devices (MBP first) and reverify that they are all in the same subnet.

Sign the MBP and iPhone back in to Home Sharing and verify that it still works.

Sign the iPad back in to Home Sharing and see if it works now.

Mar 28, 2013 9:01 AM in response to stevengazillion

stevengazillion wrote:

I also do not see this much talked about "more" button on the music app - only a msg in the middle of a blank page saying there is no music and I can downlaod from itunes etc etc.

Where is "more"?

It may not exist if you have no music at all loaded onto the iPad. As Demo said above, "If you don't have any music at all in the app, I don't think you can even home share."

Once you do have at least some music on the iPad (maybe one song synced via iTunes from a Mac or PC or one of the occasional free songs on the iTunes Store), you should see a bar across the bottom with Playlists, Songs, Artists, Albums, and More buttons; More expands to Genres, Composers, and (possibly) Shared.

Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.