Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad won't charge unless it's turned off. What's wrong?

my ipad (2nd generation) suddenly stopped charging. the charger is not the problem as it still charges my iphone. I then used my iPad charger to charge my iPad but it still won't work. I plugged it in my laptop and I get nothing. I can only charge it if it's turned off and I don't know why this is happening.

This happened to me months ago but for some reason it fixed itself. It's really frustrating especially since I barely use my iPad and now it's acting up on me.

iPad 2, iOS 6

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:23 AM

Have you tried a reset?

Hold the Sleep and Home button down until you see the Apple logo.

19 replies

Sep 9, 2017 2:57 AM in response to Mandeeday

Hey,

I just want to give another view on this topic.

I have an iPad 3 64Gb here. Since 4 days I´m having the same issue...it didnt charge. Then after waiting a few times, it charged, but extremely slow. I thought maybe it would be broken now and quickly made a backup. I am using my iPad everyday and it is really bad that it stopped working. After the backup it didn´t charge again...

I tried many things like e.g new cable, 3 chargers, Laptop and many reboots but neither one of them worked.

Since I had a backup I deleted my settings (Not my data) because I thought it may work then.

This also didn´t work so I thought if I will reset it completely to facturynew, it could work.

I also thought it is a software issue because when I turned off and plugged it in, it immediatly turned on like usual.

So it knows when it gets charged (also when plugging into the laptop)

When I am plugging it in it also don´t shows the "not charging" or sth else. Just as if there isn´t even a cable plugged in.

Sometimes my pc makes that connection sound but shows it as unrecocnisable device so it don´t knows if it is an iPad or sth else. I also tried dfu mode but it didn´t work neither.

So now I am sitting here with a restored iPad which I can only charge when I am turning it off. (And then it is slow too)

And I can´t use it because all my apps are deleted. My backup is also inaccessible because I cant restore my ipad cause the cable connection isnt working.

So its not usable anymore. I used it a long time and it was really reliable. Since Ios 9 it got slower and slower and because the software support ended anyways I think that apple wants these old devices to break and stop working...

Really sad because I really liked it. I would like to buy a new one but it is too expencive and I dont have 600$ left at the time.

I want to finish my pc which I am building first and I hope that it may fixes itself when I dont use it that often but I don´t think that will happen.

Maybe some people have the exact issue, so I tried to describe it as clearly as possible. I will see, if it will start working maybe or if I can at least recover it to the state when I had my apps and data...

Best regards

Mar 19, 2013 1:45 AM in response to Mandeeday

I have a similar problem. My iPad battery will actually discharge when it is plugged into a charger and I am using it. I spoke to Apple Care and they recommended that I restore to factory settings. That was fine, until I restored from back up and the problem returned. I took my iPad to a Genius Bar and the battery diagnostic tests showed the battery was in good condition. Yesterday I set up the iPad as a new iPad and it had a 100% charge, which it held for sometime and after approximately 8 hours of sporadic use, the battery was still 55% charged. When I returned home, I installed some of my favourite apps, including setting up the iCloud for iWork files and this morning the iPad was again losing battery charge when it is plugged into the charger. It seems as this must be a software glitch - any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2015 10:06 PM in response to denis9834

In response to denis9864

I'm having the exact same issue as you. It is 18 months old, took it to the Apple Store and they could only offer their obligatory $300 refurbished iPad. I'm just mortified that a $500 machine would only last that long.

I took it to a computer repair, but they couldn't figure it out either. Sails they saw it once before in an iPad mini, suggested I just live with it. Obviously something is amiss here. I wish Apple people would jump in here with an answer.

Jul 14, 2016 11:16 AM in response to brianfromnew boston

Are you using the 12 Watt charger that came with the iPad, or one with a lower rating? iPad needs the higher current, particularly to charge the battery while being used. Most USB chargers have a lower rating; computer ports are the worst. Some 2-port chargers are rated 20 Watts, but that means 10 Watts per port; they cannot deliver 20 W to one port. A charger that works fine on a phone may not have the oomph to charge an iPad effectively.

Jul 14, 2016 3:22 PM in response to brianfromnew boston

So, you understand that it takes current to charge the battery and current to run the device, and if the charger doesn't produce enough current, the battery may continue to discharge while running on the charger. My iPad air charges much more slowly when running, and I'm only web browsing, no music, etc. What model is your iPad? I wouldn't mess with software recovery fixes, since charging is not a software feature.

My iPad won't charge unless it's turned off. What's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.