Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing email 'On My Mac' folders across all my Apple devices

Hi all,

Well as the title hinted at, I'm trying to see if there's a way to sync my email folders, (the 'on my mac' ones) to all my devices. I realise these folders are stored locally on my Macbook but just wondering if anyone has a solution. This is how I tend to work:

I receive emails from different accounts, some which I need to keep (that I store in 'on my mac' folders that I've created for this purpose. ie, if it's a receipt for something I've purchased I have a folder called 'receipts', I also have a folder that I hold template emails in, one for important home related emails, etc.

I realise I can sync all my email accounts across my Macbook, iPhone 5 and iPad mini if I change my email accounts to IMAP instead of POP. I haven't done this yet as I need to resolve the 'on my mac' folders issue first. I realise the solution, if there is one, might be something completely different to having these folders but I'd be grateful for any solutions that can be suggested.

Is there an iCloud solution perhaps? Or a way I can create folders elsewhere that will sync across all devices?

Thanks in advance!

James.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 9:01 AM

Hi James - people seem to be missing your point. You, and I, want our convenience folders in our Mac Mail folder panes to appear and sync automatically on all devices. Aside from iPad, which doesn't support Mac Mail.

IMAP is definitely required. The only caution with IMAP is if you mistakenly close an email account on the server, your stored messages will disappear on all your devices. This is rare but catastrophic.

I managed to create a folder on my Mac Air and get my iMac to sync it, but it wasn't easy. I think people are smart by suggesting we set the sub-folders up on our email servers in the cloud, and tell each device to keep a copy of those folders on our devices, synced easily by IMAP.

Then we can access the same folders from our iPads, from online cafes overseas, and on all our devices.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2017 9:01 AM in response to James_uklondon

Hi James - people seem to be missing your point. You, and I, want our convenience folders in our Mac Mail folder panes to appear and sync automatically on all devices. Aside from iPad, which doesn't support Mac Mail.

IMAP is definitely required. The only caution with IMAP is if you mistakenly close an email account on the server, your stored messages will disappear on all your devices. This is rare but catastrophic.

I managed to create a folder on my Mac Air and get my iMac to sync it, but it wasn't easy. I think people are smart by suggesting we set the sub-folders up on our email servers in the cloud, and tell each device to keep a copy of those folders on our devices, synced easily by IMAP.

Then we can access the same folders from our iPads, from online cafes overseas, and on all our devices.

Mar 22, 2013 7:04 AM in response to James_uklondon

The short and sweet answer is still no. You cannot sync local storage folders to the iPad. The iPad mail app does not allow for local storage folders. As Bob said, if you have an IMAP account you can create additional mailboxes on the iPad. But the folders that you have on the Mac, just will not sync to the iPad.

Mar 22, 2013 7:10 AM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo, so just so I understand this correctly, if my hosts allow IMAP accounts, I can delete my current POP account and set up a new IMAP account that will also allow me to set up additional mailboxes (which I can use for storing important emails) that will then sync with my other devices? Then I can just stop using the 'On My Mac' folders altogether, and hopefully transfer those emails that are already in there to these new mailboxes, which should always sync up to my Macbook, iPhone and iPad......?

Mar 22, 2013 7:51 AM in response to James_uklondon

I am not at my own Mac right now. I am at work and I don't use Mac Mail at work. I could certainly check when I get home. But you can create the mailboxes on the server or on the iPad itself and they will sync to the Mac mail account.

Frankly, I rarely use Mac mail any more at all. No need to now that I have the iPad. I can do it all on here. I use Mac Mail mainly to delete the old POP messages from my primary email account after I read and respond to them on the iPad.

Mar 22, 2013 7:57 AM in response to James_uklondon

James_uklondon wrote:

Just one last question, as I've just tried to create a new IMAP email account on my Macbook, I can't see how I can create the additional folders (mailboxes) in that account, so I can store old/important emails... could you tell me how I can do this?

Mail > Mailbox > New Mailbox...

Select the location (in your case, in the new IMAP account) and subfolder if needed.

Supply a name for the new folder (mailbox).

Hit "OK" button.

As Demo said, you can also create the new maibox hierarchy using your iPad.

Sep 17, 2015 2:51 AM in response to James_uklondon

Hi James

Just checked whether there is an easy solution because installing IMAP accounts will not work for all my accounts.

Basically, there is a simple way by exporting the On My Mac mailboxes to your desktop or elsewhere and then use a program such as Dropbox to make them available on any system. There's some work involved, of course, but at least it's possible.
Suzanne

Syncing email 'On My Mac' folders across all my Apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.