Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4S and I need to restore my phone because I have a lot of "other" storage space that I want to get rid of. Will restoring my phone get rid of my unlocked phone?

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4S and I need to restore my phone because I have a lot of "other" storage space that I want to get rid of. Will restoring my phone get rid of my unlocked phone?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 11:16 AM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2013 12:27 PM in response to lisawin

lisawin wrote:

If the "factory" was Apple it will remain unlocked. However, if the "factory" was the back room of the shop where you bought it then updating or restoring it will relock it to the original carrier at best, and will permanently disable it at worst.

The only "permanent" unlocks are phones purchased directly from Apple, or unlocked by the carrier the phone is locked to. No store, web site, or mail in service can permanently unlock an iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.