Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why siri on iphone 5 send only imessages and not normal sms?

If I use siri to send a text message to a contact that hasn't imessage, the error that says I can't send imessage occures. It works only if I tip the option Send as sms when imessage isn't available. Does exist a solution?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 8:09 AM

9 replies

Mar 24, 2013 3:08 PM in response to Allan Sampson

This sounds like a bug. I've got the same issue and I've never had the send as SMS option on; now it appears that I can't use Siri to send messages to anyone who doesn't have an iPhone unless I have this on.

If its off then I can send an SMS to them but if I dictate to Siri it will try and send them an iMessage and immediately fails.

Siri; therefore fails to do what the messaging app does.

It's a shame apple don't test this.

Siri used to send as SMS if the contact was an SMS contact last year.

Mar 24, 2013 3:35 PM in response to Allan Sampson

You don't know my situation. There's a reason I have the option off. I have friends and relatives that are in other countries and I don't want my phone to send the iMessages to them as SMS if data isn't available because my network charges a lot for international messages.

When I am overseas on wifi also; I don't want to send SMS back to my iMessage contacts if the wifi drops.

So for me I need this off; but now Siri is broke.

It is outright wrong that Siri assumes every contact is an iMessage contact. Apple should fix this; but reporting it to them is like reporting it to a brick wall

Why siri on iphone 5 send only imessages and not normal sms?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.