Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipod touch has been locked,it now says "connect to itunes" i have done this but my itunes says to insert a passcode on my ipod touch so that it can conecct to itunes.But how can i when it wont let me?HELP!

my ipod touch has been locked,it now says "connect to itunes" i have done this but my itunes says to insert a passcode on my ipod touch so that it can conecct to itunes.But how can i when it wont let me?HELP!

iPod touch

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 10:06 AM

10 replies

Mar 26, 2013 10:25 AM in response to just219

just219, note that terms of use of this forum includes:

Do not ask for points. If you feel the system is not clear to users, please provide feedback to Apple; do not instruct other users unless they ask.

For peterevs169

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

Mar 29, 2013 9:12 AM in response to lllaass

Okay, it's all well and good to have the option to reset the iPod, but there's music on there that I don't have in my iTunes and I don't think it's in the cloud either. If I reset, I lose a ton of stuff. Besides that, the real issue here is how did this happen? I connected my iPod touch to my iMac to charge and this morning I go to open it only to find it asking for a passcode. Please don't say that someone put a code in when I wasn't looking because that didn't happen and it's not helpful to suggest it did. Assuming there's no way out of this mess other than resetting the stupid thing, how do I prevent this from happening again or am I just at the mercy of the Apple gremlins?

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2013 9:25 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks. Unfortunately, I tried to back it up several times and was unsuccessful. In fact, last night iTunes said that the device was backed up a few weeks ago but when I checked the library and the cloud, there were hundreds of songs missing. I'm so frustrated! When I tried to play the device from my computer, I couldn't and I couldn't view the content or the access the playlists. Did something change with the most recent update? the whole layout is different.

Mar 29, 2013 9:38 AM in response to fig1007

The iPod backup that iTunes makes does not included synced media like apps and music.

The iPod backup that iCloud makes sort of included iTunes purchased media since you can redownload iTunes purchased media provided:

- Your county allows redownload of that media type

iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match Availability

- The media is still available in the iTunes/App stores.

Sep 28, 2013 2:34 AM in response to gleyna

Try disabling the computer's antivirus and firewall.

- Next try the manual install method of:

iDevice Troubleshooting 101 :: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

Place the iPod in recovery mode after the firmware download is complete and then restore using the instructions in the article. Sometimes recovery mode timeouts and returns to disabled before the firmware download is complete.

- Then try on another computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.