Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 11.0.2 could not backup the iphone because an error occurred

I am using iTunes 11.0.2 with iphone 4s. Since March 8th, 2013, my iphone tries to backup to itunes and it keeps getting the error: "Itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred" I have tried everything on the troubleshooting website: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2529 and nothing seems to work. My itunes works with my ipad 2 and ipod classic with syncing and backing up but not my iphone 4s. I even tried backing up on another computer and it still doesn't work. Please help.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 5:00 PM

Please do not post the same question multiple times. Different people are trying to answer your question and you are not responding back to them. Post once and follow the post.

6 replies

Mar 26, 2013 5:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

When attempting to create an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch backup, iTunes may display one of the following alert messages:

• iTunes could not back up iPhone because the backup could not be saved on the computer
  • iTunes could not back up the iPhone because a session could not be started
  • iTunes could not restore this iPhone because the backup session failed
  • Cannot copy: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
  • Unable to restore from this backup
  • Backup session failed
  • iPhone refused the request

You can resolve backup errors by following the steps in this article.

Resolution

Simply restarting the computer and the iOS device may resolve a backup issue. After restarting, attempt to restore again. Learn how to restart your iOS device.To perform the rest of steps in this article, you need to be logged in to the computer as an administrator. If you're not sure if you have administrator access, contact the owner of the computer or the system administrator.

Collapse All Sections | Expand All Sections

1. Back up your backup

2. Update to the latest software

3. Disconnect other USB devices

4. (Windows only): Check for Layered Service Providers (LSPs)

5. Check security settings

6. Back up using a new user account

7. Reset the Lockdown folder

8. Windows only: Update your USB chipset drivers

9. Back up on a different computer

Additional Information

If you are using Windows and iTunes stops responding when backing up an iOS device, follow the steps in Apple software on Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store.For more information on restoring from a backup and on backing up in general, see the following documents:

If you have performed all the steps in this article and you are still experiencing a backup issue, contact Apple or your wireless carrier—whichever provides phone support for your device.

To find Apple's contact information in your country, refer to Contacting Apple for Support and Service. If you use an iPhone, you can find your wireless carrier at Locating iPhone wireless carriers. Wherever you live in the world, you can find your service options at the Online Service Assistant.

Jul 27, 2013 10:14 PM in response to bana1124

After getting a new PC and reinstaling iTunes, I'd been receiving this alert when trying to backup/sync my iPhone4, but none with iPad using the same cable and environment. What solved my problem was setting the iPhone to airplane mode. I guess it was something related to sync over wi-fi (that was disabled on both devices, but was somehow causing these issues).

Itunes 11.0.2 could not backup the iphone because an error occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.