Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 will not sync my iPad 2: inflated "other"

Something odd has happened.

All of a sudden when I try to sync my iPad to iTunes on my Mac, iTunes thinks there is 21.82GB of "other" and 36.31Gb "free" on the iPad. This is totally wrong. See screen shot attached:

User uploaded file

When I try to sync (as that might correct it) it briefly shows the "apps" being present and 26.6GB free but then reverts to only the "other" of 21.82Gb free. See screenshot taken during syncing below:

User uploaded file

If I try to add photos to the iPad, iTunes loses connection during sync:

User uploaded file

Yet, during all this time the iPad itself shows that it has apps, music, photos, movies and books with space left over.

User uploaded file

In use the iPad is just fine, it's just that it wont sync to my Mac iTunes any more. Im pretty sure this is an iTunes issue not an iPad issue as it can sync just fine on my other computer's (PC) iTunes which reports "other" as only being 3.72Gb.

How can I fix this problem *without* a full restore of iPad which will force an upgrade to IOS 6.1.3 which will not support my Corporate applications?

All help appreciated.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.1.1, iTunes 11.0.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 4:19 PM

I have now reset and restored my iPad but this did not resolve the problem.

I next erased all content and reset and restored my iPad and this did not solve the problem

I next synced it with another computer which did sync successfully, but of course my media was not present as this was erased by the sync.

I next attached the iPad back to my original computer, but this still reported the iPad as having a large other and was unable to sync.

I next reset, restored and upgraded the iPad to iOS 6.1.3

Once complete, iTunes still reported the iPad incorrectly and could not sync.

Finally I downloaded the full installer from apple.com/itunes and re-installed iTunes 11.0.2 from the full installer (rather than the softwrae update installed version that I had).

This appears to have resolved the sync issue and my iPad is currently syncing media.

Lesson learnt: re-install iTunes first before trying anything on the iPad if the iPad itself seems OK.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2013 4:19 PM in response to quentinnuk

I have now reset and restored my iPad but this did not resolve the problem.

I next erased all content and reset and restored my iPad and this did not solve the problem

I next synced it with another computer which did sync successfully, but of course my media was not present as this was erased by the sync.

I next attached the iPad back to my original computer, but this still reported the iPad as having a large other and was unable to sync.

I next reset, restored and upgraded the iPad to iOS 6.1.3

Once complete, iTunes still reported the iPad incorrectly and could not sync.

Finally I downloaded the full installer from apple.com/itunes and re-installed iTunes 11.0.2 from the full installer (rather than the softwrae update installed version that I had).

This appears to have resolved the sync issue and my iPad is currently syncing media.

Lesson learnt: re-install iTunes first before trying anything on the iPad if the iPad itself seems OK.

iTunes 11 will not sync my iPad 2: inflated "other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.