Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad (original) quit sounds for sent/received mail. Side switch is being used for rotation lock . In settings, general, sounds, sent = swoosh, received =ding (both work when testing in settings. version5.1.1 no volume control by dbl clicking home button

IPad (original) sounds for sent/rec'd mail quit. The ding and swoosh work when testing them in general, settings, received and sent mail. iPad is using sound switch for lock rotation. Guess original iPad doesn't have sound control sidebar when pushing home button twice. iPad is using iOS version 5.1.1. Is that the latest version I can download? My mini uses a much later version. I prefer the old iPad for certain uses...better for old folks to read. I heve read the postings from 2011... What the heck have I missed?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 5:56 PM

Yes the original iPad has the slider bar volume control when you double tap the home button - and then swipe to the right in the recents tray at the bottom of the screen. This slider bar volume control has nothing to do with system sounds anyway.

Double tap the home button, swipe all the way to the right. You should see a speaker icon all the way to the left. If the icon has a line going through it, then system sounds are muted. Tap the icon and if the line goes away, you have unmuted system sounds and the email notification sounds should return.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2013 5:56 PM in response to Distressedamsel

Yes the original iPad has the slider bar volume control when you double tap the home button - and then swipe to the right in the recents tray at the bottom of the screen. This slider bar volume control has nothing to do with system sounds anyway.

Double tap the home button, swipe all the way to the right. You should see a speaker icon all the way to the left. If the icon has a line going through it, then system sounds are muted. Tap the icon and if the line goes away, you have unmuted system sounds and the email notification sounds should return.

IPad (original) quit sounds for sent/received mail. Side switch is being used for rotation lock . In settings, general, sounds, sent = swoosh, received =ding (both work when testing in settings. version5.1.1 no volume control by dbl clicking home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.