Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone data deleted through iOS update 6.1.3

I decided to update my iOS - through the most recent update - 6.1.3. However, somehow all the data on my iPhone got deleted through the update.

I've lost absolutely everything - it's like a completely new phone. It comes up with the option to restore using iTunes, but when I try to do it - it doesn't seem to restore properly. I've got the latest iTunes, so I don't need to update. Anyone else had this problem and solved it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 4:39 AM

10 replies

Apr 7, 2013 10:38 AM in response to diesel vdub

I went through with the update and then the phone said it needed to be restored. Once I'd gone through with the restoring, it went to being a completely new phone - when I'd backed it up before updating anyways.

After that, I tried restoring back to the previous back up but it doesn't go through - an error comes up saying 31 apps couldn't be put back on to the iPhone - basically all the apps on her phone.

Apr 8, 2013 4:05 AM in response to diesel vdub

As always, I back up the phone before gong through any of the updates because I just do it anyways. I went through with downloading the iOS update on iTunes. Once up the update had downloaded it went through with the update and at the end the iPhone set and it was stuck on the connect to iTunes screen. A box appeared saying - that the phone needs to be restored in order to carry through with the update. So, I restored the phone, considering I backed it up before the update. And the update carried through but when it restored, nothing was restored on to the iPhone - it formatted my hard drive during the updgrade and my previous backups were deleted. An error came up saying that 31 apps couldn't be put back onto the phone. When I disconnected the iPhone and switched it on - it was basically a new iPhone because it didn't switch on and go straight to her passcode of four digits instead it came up with - Set up iPhone.

Apr 8, 2013 4:18 AM in response to ineedhelpwithiphone

There were no error codes - just boxes.

It's really annoying, it's never happened before when I've updated the phone. Nothing has ever gone wrong - but somehow the update deleted my preivous back-ups.

If I look on my C drive and find the folder with the back ups, there's only the back up from the date that we updated the iPhone which was the 2nd of April - it's got the timestamp and everything. I definitely know that the back ups go there because I did a back up and it ended up there.

All the back ups appear except the ones from the 2nd of April. Is there any way to see that back up on iTunes because it's not appearing and the iPhone literally had everything that was useful...I really want to get everything back, not matter how hard it is or how long it takes. I don't really wan to try the third-party software in order restore the iPhone because, I'm not really sure it'll work with them...

Also, the backup was from when it was iOS 6.1.2 - obviously. And, there have been problems with the sim card, a message kept on appear every morning.

Apr 8, 2013 4:37 AM in response to ineedhelpwithiphone

ineedhelpwithiphone wrote:

it formatted my hard drive during the updgrade and my previous backups were deleted.

iTunes cannot format your hard drive.

Sorry, but you'll need a better excuse. Had that actually happened, it would have required reloading iTunes prior to getting the iPhone functional.

Keep in mind, iTunes only has essentially one backup for iOS devices. It is a rolling backup so each time the device is synced, information is addeded or deleted, a new backup is not created on each sync. The only time a new backup gets created is when the device is restored.

Apr 8, 2013 4:46 AM in response to diesel vdub

I backed up the phone before I decided to the update - I don't know how then my other backups got deleted, because I always back up the phone. It's set on back up to computer.

And, I'm not making excuses - I'm trying my hardest to explain to you what happened. All of the previous updaes have gone through perfectly except this darn one.

And, I know it backed up because I saw it on the summary page - Last backup: 2nd April 2013. And the back up was obviously from a different firmware - not 6.1.3

Apr 8, 2013 5:05 AM in response to diesel vdub

diesel vdub wrote:

iTunes cannot format your hard drive.

Sorry, but you'll need a better excuse. Had that actually happened, it would have required reloading iTunes prior to getting the iPhone functional.

I backed up the phone before I decided to the update - I don't know how then my other backups got deleted, because I always back up the phone. It's set on back up to computer.

And, I'm not making excuses - I'm trying my hardest to explain to you what happened. All of the previous updaes have gone through perfectly except this darn one.

And, I know it backed up because I saw it on the summary page - Last backup: 2nd April 2013. And the back up was obviously from a different firmware - not 6.1.3

Apr 8, 2013 5:31 AM in response to ineedhelpwithiphone

As already explained, there is only one backup.

A new backup will be created after restoring the device from backup.

So, back to the orginal issue.

When restoring from the backup, no error is generated, correct?

Does it appear to restore successfully?

The issue is then with certain apps that do not sync back to the device, correct?

Have you tried restoring as new and then syncing those apps to the device?

Apr 8, 2013 5:45 AM in response to diesel vdub

When I did try to restore using the back up from the 2nd of April on the same day, the restore would go through but then nothing would actually restored. Came up with the same error for the apps. When I checked the iPhone - completely new iPhone with the "Set up iPhone" coming up. Went through that and tried restoring through the iTunes backup and it went through but apps couldn't be put on and there were - no contacts, no apps, no photos etc.

Now- There are no contacts, apps, notes, photos, videos etc. The wiped iPhone was backed up and there's nothing on that back up because it's the back up of a wiped iPhone.

Both times - Yeah, I've tried syncing the apps and the apps don't go back onto the iPhone. The same error box comes up with no number - just saying the same thing again, these apps couldn't be put back on to the iPhone.

If I go on here, I can see all the previous backups - is there no way I could make iTunes see the previous back up?

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

By the way, - thank you for helping me, I really want to get the iPhone back to the way it was before the update.

iPhone data deleted through iOS update 6.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.