Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access TC disk remotely WITHOUT having to turn on NAT

For reasons to numerous to discuss I can not run NAT on my home network and want to be able to access my TC disk remotely. Ostensibly to enable continous TimMachine backup outside of the home. This USED to work a while back (1-2 years ago), but seems to have broken with recent firmware. From other postings one needs to enable NAT to see the remote disk checkbox (I have confirmed this does allow checkbox to be displayed locally)

See: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3699096?start=0&tstart=0

Love to find a work around to enable remote disk access withoout NAT/DHCP or I suppose an old version of the firmware might be an option as well if someone can point me that way.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 1:47 PM

1 reply

Apr 3, 2013 2:09 PM in response to TomWeyer

We have tried to answer in the other thread you posted.

Apple recommend NOT doing TM backups over internet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3486

and I quote.

Can Time Machine remotely back up or restore data from Time Capsule or its attached hard drive via Back to My Mac?

Backing up or restoring Time Machine backups remotely (that is, via Back to My Mac and the Internet instead of your local network) is not recommended. If you want to back up or restore with Time Machine and Time Capsule, you should do so while directly connected to your Time Capsule's local network.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you might find the latest updates to TM in Mountain Lion made sure you couldn't do backups over btmm. Pondini or Bob can jump in and correct me. Perhaps it is just the firmware that removes the possibility.

If you just want to try earlier firmware.. hold the option key when you select firmware.. it will then show you the whole gamut of possible firmware for your model TC.

How do I access TC disk remotely WITHOUT having to turn on NAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.