Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get the airplay icon to show up on my ipad. It worked one time, and I haven't seen it in several day. My photo stream works fine, but why can't I play Tv shows from my ipad?

Both my ipad 2 & apple tv 3 are current with all updates. Both are on the same wi-fi. My photos show up on the apple tv fine, but when I play a tv show on my ipad, I cannot get the airplay icon to show up on my ipad, thus I can't play the tv show on the tv. I was able to get it to work once about five days ago, after spending hours looking for the airplay icon, but now the icon is gone, and all settings are set to sharing & airplay is on on the apple tv. This is the first apple device I have had trouble with. Can anybody help? Thanks

Apple tv3-OTHER, Airplay not showing up on ipad2

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 9:01 AM

8 replies

Apr 5, 2013 9:18 AM in response to smartinfam

Personally I think the iOS devices are poor at reconnecting - Airplay establishes that a link is available but when the iPhone/iPad has been away from the house and rejoins the network i think AppleTV already thinks it's connected with a different IP address and fails to recognise it has joined the network again with new credentials.

Something along those lines anyway.

I find that a combination of restarting AppleTV, router and iOS device tends to fix it, but not for everyone.

AC

Apr 7, 2013 7:47 PM in response to kooah

Sorry you're having trouble too. Once I reset the network on the ipad, it has been working every time. I do think this is the hardest Apple product I've had to deal with. In all, I have reset the router, ipad, & apple tv, but the last time I only had to reset the ipad. My iphone and my wife's ipad worked even when mine didn't. The only suggestion I would have is to reset the router, ipad, & apple tv again, and see if it keeps working from then on. Good luck.

Apr 9, 2013 5:44 AM in response to CoolJ18

Sure did, that's the only way to see the icon after tapping twice and swipe to the right till see the "music player thing". Airplay is fine only after rebooting either the ipad or router and that's mind bogging.

Interestingly, my Nexus 7 can link/airplay to ATV3 using ZappoTV app. without problem. I think there's a problem with the latest ATV3 software update, based on some discussions here.

I can't get the airplay icon to show up on my ipad. It worked one time, and I haven't seen it in several day. My photo stream works fine, but why can't I play Tv shows from my ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.