Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

living in europe,iPhone 5,what phone service to use?

My daughter just got stationed in Germany for the Army. How does she go about getting phone service. Everything I'm reading discusses travelling.

where you pay for US service and then get add-on's for use in europe which appears to be very expensive. I understand she will have to upgrade to iphone 5 to get quad GSM , but what carrier should she use? Remember she could be redeployed at any moment so any time contracts would be dubious.

help

curious John

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 11:44 AM

5 replies

Apr 5, 2013 11:54 AM in response to curious john

The best solution, though more expensive than a subsidized iPhone, is to purchase from Apple an unlocked iPhone. That will be a full price iPhone but will accept sim cards from any carrier, then since the European systems almost all use GSM she can easily use a pay-as-you go arrangement with a carrier or talk to the carrier where she has been deployed about a sim for how ever long she is there. If redeployed, just do the same thing. In the US AT&T is the GSM service.

Apr 5, 2013 12:06 PM in response to curious john

To start with if your Daughter is on a posting she is best getting use of a local German carrier

sim

using a USA carrier on roaming in Germany will be prohibative over time

However she needs an iPhone that will work in US on return

Best solution I can see is an unlocked iPhone (only from Apple in US )

(She could buy in Germany but that iPhone 5 will not work on LTE (4G in US) )

GSM which will use a local German carrier sim

She will need to check options for sim only deals .In UK we have either PAYG or month to month contracts

germany is very similar in many aspects so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have similar

There will be many with a similar issue so she should talk to others in Base and also the PX

living in europe,iPhone 5,what phone service to use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.