Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone (iPad) App

I would like to better understand how "Find My iPhone" works. Here is the scenario:

I have iPad (WiFi Only) and my fiancee has an iPhone (3G & WiFi). When I go to my iPad, open the app, and log in using her Apple ID, the app immediately locates the iPhone and allows me to send a test message and sound to the iPhone. When I go to the iPhone, open the app, and log in using my Apple ID, the app indicates my iPad is offline even though the device is on and currently connected to my home network.

I also have an iPhone (3G & WiFi). When I go to that phone, open the app, and log in using my Apple ID, the app only finds the iPad and indicates it is offline.

Finally, I log into the app on my iPad and it pulls up the iPad and shows "This Device." It also indicates that the iPad is offline. It does not pull up the iPhone which uses the same Apple ID.

How exactly does "Find My iPhone (iPad)" work? Is there such an app as "Find My iPad"? Can someone explain why I am getting these results? Any information would be appreciated.

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 7:16 AM

7 replies

Apr 11, 2013 7:55 AM in response to jhvk

find my iphone app == find my ipad app

works the same

thing is that your wifi only app don't have a gps so it have to rely on localization from the wifi router it's connected to which is likely to be way off

and of cause it would only work if the thief connected to his or an open wifi network because the internet is required

Apr 11, 2013 8:09 AM in response to Rudegar

<q>find my iphone app == find my ipad app works the same</q>

Thanks for this. I kind of figured that since I could not find a separate "find my iPad" app in the AppStore.

There is no theft. All of the devices were in my presence when I ran my tests. The iPad was connected to my home wireless network. Also, when my iPad prompts to use my current location (when using other apps), How is that any different? I just used the Map app and the location is spot on (exact building on correct street).

Apr 11, 2013 8:17 AM in response to jhvk

U have to have the find my iphone app installed on your device it requires a apple I'd and a password which u should have installed when u first set up your device.u must have a different ID for each device,when u log into the find my iphone app you have to put in the ID and password for the device ur trying to locate.the find my iphone app will only find the device if it in range of cellular coverage or wifi and ithe find my iphone app must be turned on .If the device ur trying to to track has cellular coverage available it must also have data left on it for the app to work no data the app won't work.

Apr 11, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks for this. On my iPad, I chose not to use iCloud Backup but the Find My iPad indicator is On under Settings -> iCloud. The Apple ID is correct and I am using the correct password. All other indicators are set to Off.

When I logged into iCloud through my computer, it still gave me the Offline indicator. Do I have to have iCloud Backup enabled? Doubt that but I figured I would ask.

Additionally, this does not explain why, when using my Apple ID, the app only pulls up the iPad. It does not pull up my iPhone. I have the same settings on my iPhone and my fiancee's iPhone. For a full test, I entered her Apple ID and the app immediately located her iPhone.

Apr 11, 2013 9:03 AM in response to rexfromkaikoura

Thanks but Restrictions are disabled so, presumably, everything should be on by default. Just for the heck of it, I enabled Restrictions and confirmed that Location Services is set to "Allow Changes" and "On." I clicked on the Find My iPad indicator and that is set to "On" as well. This is the same for all of our iDevices.

Find My iPhone (iPad) App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.