Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my iPhone run secret updates at midnight, using my data allowance?

Hi,

i've recently noticed that i've been using up my data allowance from o2 despite hardly using the 3G as I'm on wireless networks at home, work and friends places?! I never had this problem with previous iPhones but this has been occuring regularly with my iPhone 4.

Having spoken to o2, apparently this is due to the iPhone updating/send info at midnight, without me knowing. Also as my phone was is charging, the wireless network drops off and all these secret updates etc are using 3G and my data allowance!

I checked my data usage on the o2 website and its this update, most nights, thats using up ALL MY DATA!!!

What information is being sent and why?!!

All o2 said was to turn my phone off or the 3G function before i go to bed to stop the iphone doing its secret updates.

Is there a better way to stop this as its becoming very frustrating and cosltly!!!

If someone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

thanks

frustrated iPhone user with no data allowance left...

😠

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 4:05 AM

7 replies

Apr 12, 2013 6:11 AM in response to Lexiepex

thanks I've gone through all the cellular data in notifications and turned them off.

if i turn the cellualr data off in 'Settings/General/Cellular' this means i can't receive email etc unless i'm on a wi-fi network, kinda defeats the point for me.

i've searched this forum and it appears that there is an issue with o2 and iPhone and the midnight updates?!

i've never had this problem until recently so a bit miffed why this has started happening to me, at least i'm not the only one out there...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3029461?start=0&tstart=0

thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Apr 15, 2013 3:40 AM in response to Lexiepex

yeah i've done all that too, thanks.

I'm towards the end of my contract so will look for an unlimited data allowance on my next plan - only way to fix this issue by the looks of it.

I would like to know what is being transferred tho as i do log into my bank etc via the phone and if details of that are being passed i won't be very happy!!

thanks for your help

why does my iPhone run secret updates at midnight, using my data allowance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.