Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S iOS 6.1.3 will not connect to or even find any wifi networks, any ideas?

I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6.1.3 and therein started my wifi problems. At first the signal was just dropping out and I kept getting the "Unable to join..." message, which was annoying but it had periods of time where it worked fine and gave me some hope. Since yesterday my phone has not actually identified any of the available wifi signals (not just my router, but also any other networks when I've been out and about) and so I am unable to join any as I cannot even see them to select them.

I have tried:

- changing the channel on my router

- turning my router off and on again

- turning my phone off and on again

- plugging my phone into the computer and making sure it was updated (I did this yesterday which may have made it worse as that's when the problem intensified?)

- resetting my phone by holding down the home and power button

- resetting the settings on my phone (numerous times)

- changing the WPA2 settings on the router

- checking that I have got the wifi turned on

- setting my iPhone to "ask to join" wireless networks

I would suspect something fishy with the router, except that my husbands iPhone is still working fine (he has not yet updated his iOS), my MacBook and his laptop are still connecting fine, as is the PS3 and the wireless printer. I went out today to a place with an open wifi network and my friend with an iPhone 4S (*not* updated to iOS 6.1.3) could see it and connect to it, but my phone didn't even pick it up and we were sitting right next to each other. There are 10 wifi networks in the vacinity of my house which my MacBook and husbands iPhone can see but my phone is now not seeing any of them. This HAS to be something on my phone, but I can't ruddy well work out what it is and meanwhile I am going to get charged loads for using up my data allowance. The only good thing so far about having all this faff is that when I updated to 6.1.3 my phone wouldn't send any photos to anyone unless it was via iMessage and since I've been changing all the settings I found one that works, so I have been able to send my mother in law some pictures of her granddaughter. My own parents will be getting upset by the lack of wifi though as I don't want to FaceTime them using my 3G.

Any help would be most appreciated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, wifi

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 12:58 PM

18 replies

Apr 12, 2013 3:07 PM in response to SuskH

You are really sure that WiFi is turned ON right?

On your iPhone try using Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If that does not solve the problem try the following:

1. Backup your iPhone using iTunes or iCloud.

2. Use iTunes to completely restore your iPhone as new. This will give you a fresh copy of the iOS software and you will need to go through setup again.

3. Go through the setup procedure and see if WiFi works again.

4. Restore your iPhone using the backup above.

5. Check your iPhone to make sure that WiFi is still working.

Hope for the best!

Note that if none of this works it would appear that your iPhone has developed a hardware problem. If so, contact Apple support.

Apr 12, 2013 11:17 PM in response to JimHdk

Thanks for your reply, JimHdk.

Yes, I am REALLY sure wifi is turned on!

I have reset the network settings a few times, and even tried the rest all settings option.

Last night I restored my iPhone in the manner you described above, but it is still not even seeing any wireless networks.

I'm going to borrow my husband's (working!) phone and manually write the settings in as a last ditch attempt to see if it works. I've booked an appointment with a "Genius" on Thursday morning too.

Apr 14, 2013 1:47 AM in response to SuskH

Hi JimHdk,

I have also upgraded to ios6.1.3, and facing same wifi connecting problem, after upgrade my iphone3gs is not connecting to my laptop shared wifi, which was working perfect with ios6.1.2,

and its not an hardware error, its software error, crippy apple does not test their releases which causes problem to users.

Updates:

Earlier wifi connection which i was using on my Iphone 3gs, was WPA2, which was shared from my laptop via "Microsoft virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter", was working perfectly till ios6.1.2, but when i have upgraded my iphone 3gs to ios6.1.3, my iphone 3gs became unable to join wifi,

Today I have created "adhoc network" on my laptop using "Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n"(default wifi adapter of my laptop), and kept security type "WEP", and found my wifi working fine with my iphone 3gs,

So if someone using LAN internet on their laptop, they can share their LAN internet to use on their ios devices, via creating an 'adhoc network',

How to create an 'Adhoc Network',
choose Security Type : WEP (compatible with ios6.1.3)
http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/create-an-ad-hoc-network-in-window s

Vinay Rajput

Apr 22, 2013 8:12 AM in response to SuskH

I am having the same problem. I have not dropped my phone or anything like it.

My PBP has no problem connectiong to the same networks. If I turn on and off the phone sevral times, it can occur, that for a short while, the Iphone discovers the networks and can connect to one of them, but not always. Mostly it does not work. Mostly it does not even detect the networks.

This is very annoying!

Obviously we need a new update to fix this bug!!

Apr 23, 2013 9:53 AM in response to Peter AW

Like you guys i have Iphone 5 and before iOS Ver 6.1.x my Wifi worked perfectly.

since the upgrade to iOS 6.1.X my WIFI isnt working properly (while from the same sport my samsung Galaxy S2 will see the WIFI Network WPA2 AES and will connect Perfectly).

there are allot of suggestions of various forums on the net that the latest iOS update just fried the Iphone 5 WIFI Antenna.

As i understood the Iphone 5 is using Dual Band 2.4G / 5G Wifi Antenna Flex Cable.

if you will have a 5G Wifi Network Router all will work Properly.... but if your Router is 2.4G - Game Over.

for now i've oredered a new Iphone 5 WIFI Flex Cable and i do plan to replace it myself.

anyone can share his knowledge and confirm that this is the root cause of our problems?

Thanks.

May 7, 2013 8:21 AM in response to SuskH

i finally found where the problem is with " unable to join network " error message , after months of research and trying every single trick on the net not working , the problem is with channel overlapping from the router . i have downloaded " inSSider " network analyzer and found that my home network is overlapping with four other networks , though when i try to connect from another place where there is no channel overlapping it connects just fine . most routers use 2.5 Mhz frequency , so you get a lot of overlapping there , but if you try to connect from a 5 Mhz router , its fine . so you could download the inSSider app for pc and check for the channel where there is no channel overlapping and use this channel . This is a hardware issue anyway , if the wifi circuit and wifi antenna are ok in your phone then you should not have any problem connecting , but if either of them are faulty , you will get that error . so you either fix it or taking it to apple to replace it . and it is possible that when you go to apple store you would not see the problem , thats what happened to me , that is because they probably have a 5 Mhz router and that would rarely interfere with other networks .

May 20, 2013 11:56 PM in response to morg8

Hello Morg8, my phone could not be fixed. I went to the Apple store for a Genius Bar appointment where they replaced my phone for free as it was still under warranty.

I was told it was a failure of the wifi chip and due to where it is soldered they can't just replace the chip, so replaced the phone instead. I asked if it could be anything to do with 6.1.3 and was told not. The phone I was given is running on 6.1 though and I've not updated it! I mentioned some of the wackier fixes that I'd read on the support forums (like putting your phone in the freezer) and was told that was ridiculous! I did list all the things I had tried (changing router channel, security settings etc) and was told that they don't expect you to try all that. They do of course need you to back up your phone, he did ask if I had backed up to the cloud, to which I said "no, my wifi doesn't work..." then he set the new phone up so that it could receive calls and texts until I got it home to plug into the mac and restore it.

Sorry I haven't got any quick fix to tell you about.

May 28, 2013 5:55 AM in response to SuskH

I have encountered similar problem - I could connect to my wifi but cant access internet - The problem was due to overlapping of IP address and DNS - Just go to setting option- > wifi connection > select your wifi network > there is ">" infront of wifi network , click on it >, just see whether your IP adrress and DNS is same under DHRCP tab, if yes got to static option - copy your IP address from DHRCP and put your DNS as 8.8.8.8 its a universal DNS , work on all networks - try this your and phone will work fine

iPhone 4S iOS 6.1.3 will not connect to or even find any wifi networks, any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.