Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My keyboard layout input source keeps reverting to US

Recently I've noticed that my keyboard input source keeps reverting back to US keyboard layout. I use a Portuguese keyboard, and every time I start my mac (OS X 10.8.3) the layout has changed to US. I change it back to Portuguese, until the next restart...

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thank you for your help.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), MacPro 2x2.66 Ghz (work) | iPhone 3GS | iPad WiFi

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 1:53 AM

Looks like I was wrong. The problem is not fixed at all. A couple of days latter the keyboard layout reverted to US. I decided then to take your second advice and trashed the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file, and it seemed to work for a few days, but I am now back on US keyboard layout. So what ever is causing this, is not fixed. Any idea on what that may be?

Thank you for your help.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2013 1:53 AM in response to romeup

Looks like I was wrong. The problem is not fixed at all. A couple of days latter the keyboard layout reverted to US. I decided then to take your second advice and trashed the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file, and it seemed to work for a few days, but I am now back on US keyboard layout. So what ever is causing this, is not fixed. Any idea on what that may be?

Thank you for your help.

Apr 13, 2013 5:33 AM in response to romeup

Select the kb you want, then try a PRAM reset.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

This info from: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Apr 13, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

I had selected Portuguese in System Preferences / Language & Text / Input Sources. I do not want the mac OS interface in Portuguese.

Decided to try set System Preferences / Language & Text / Language has Portuguese at the top and reselect the Portuguese in input sources. Restarted and it worked. Then changed the language back to English and kept the Portuguese input source. After a couple of restarts the problem seems to be fixed. I am now back to my normal setup, English interface and Portuguese keyboard.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 29, 2013 2:21 PM in response to romeup

I'm still having having this issue. After a few days of setting the Portuguese keyboard layout, I'm back on US Keyboard. Could this be caused be some third-party software? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

PS. Whish Apple would allow users to un-mark questions as answered. A software problem tends to be difficult to evaluate, and really be sure that it is fixed.

My keyboard layout input source keeps reverting to US

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.