Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services not working on iPad Mini Wifi model, iOS 6.1.3

Hi, the subject says it all! Location services is not working anymore. Maps, Google Earth etc are all giving error message: cannot determine location. Please help.

iPad, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 2:01 AM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2013 3:28 AM in response to ShehzadMac

If you have the WiFi-only iPad your location is determined by the location of nearby WiFi routers. The WiFi-only iPad does not have GPS. Without GPS location-finding is done by using a Apple location database which contains the MAC addresses of routers and their physical location. A MAC address is a unique number which is built-in to all network devices when manufactured. The Apple database is built and updated by Apple GPS-enabled devices (primarily iPhones) actually seeing your router and then adding/updating the router's location in the database.

Bottom line: Your Router is probably not yet in the Apple location database. It hasn't been seen yet and added to the database. Without this your iPad cannot be located. Unfortunately, there is no way for users to request information to be added to Apple's database.

Apr 14, 2013 9:06 PM in response to JimHdk

Hi JimHdk, thanks for your reply. You're right and I also came across your explanation on zdnet.com some time ago. I think since iOS6 something changed and then Apple started that database of routers.

But the thing you see it's that it was working before, i have my iPhone 3GS who works with it, and I remember using my iPad Mini with the same router when i first bought it. Could it be that the router is not "deprecated" in the Apple location database adn thererefore cannot be used anymore ?

If i knew i'd bought the Wifi and Cellular version 😟

Location Services not working on iPad Mini Wifi model, iOS 6.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.