Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headset mic not working with iPhone

When I plug the headset into my iPhone, I hear sound through the headphones, but when I speak, the sound comes through the phone's mic, not the mic on my headset. How do I fix this so that the sound comes from the headset mic and not the phone's mic? A friend of mine is having the same problem with her phone, so I suspect it's not just the two of us having this issue. She uses the headphones included with the iPhone; I use a mobile headset made by Bose. Changing the headsets doesn't solve the problem. Thanks in advance for your advice!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 10:51 AM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2013 3:03 PM in response to quartotenore

Also, the volume up and down buttons don't work, nor does the button that answers/hangs up the phone. It's as though the phone thinks the headset is only a pair of headphones, with sound out capabilities but not mic, volume or answer/hangup functions. Again, I know another user who began having the same problems as I recently, so I suspect a software issue, not a hardware problem. Thoughts? Guesses? Suggestions?

Headset mic not working with iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.