Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iPad syncing with my iPhone?

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. Sometimes when I download an app on my iPad, the same app will show up on my iPhone. But whenever I download an app on my iPhone, it won't show up on my iPad. Also whenever I write a note in the notes app on either device, the note will automatically show up on the other device. The thing is I signed out of iCloud on both devices, but they still seem to sync. How do I stop my devices from syncing with each other?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 12:51 PM

1.) Your iphone has automatic downloads turned on, whereas your ipad does not.

- To change this go to settings > itunes & app store anything turned on has automatic downloads turned on

2.) You are using the same icloud email (apple id) on both devices which means you will sync information as they are the same account.

- You can not "sign out" of icloud on both devices unless you go into settings > icloud and hit delete account. If you did that they would not continue to sync notes as you would not be signed into icloud to be able to do so.

3.) If you want your devices to stop syncing create a new icloud on one of the devices - once you delete the account you can then tap on icloud again and it will prompt to sign in or at the bottom you can create a free icloud account

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Paolo4649

1.) Your iphone has automatic downloads turned on, whereas your ipad does not.

- To change this go to settings > itunes & app store anything turned on has automatic downloads turned on

2.) You are using the same icloud email (apple id) on both devices which means you will sync information as they are the same account.

- You can not "sign out" of icloud on both devices unless you go into settings > icloud and hit delete account. If you did that they would not continue to sync notes as you would not be signed into icloud to be able to do so.

3.) If you want your devices to stop syncing create a new icloud on one of the devices - once you delete the account you can then tap on icloud again and it will prompt to sign in or at the bottom you can create a free icloud account

Mar 22, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Paolo4649

I'm thinging your notes issue may be a setting under mail settings. It may be that you sharing notes tied to other things like a gmail account across the two devices. Check if notes is turned on under mail settings of every email account. Then in notes app check whate notes the app is creating notes to. You can control which. Gmail notes, iCloud notes, device local etc

Why is my iPad syncing with my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.