Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete free books from iBooks

I tried to download a bunch of free books from iTunes. The download just won't work. Finally I decided to just try and delete them from my bookshelf. Nothing I tried worked;

1) Selected the undownloaded books in question and pressed "delete". Nothing happened. They are in the "Books" folder, not "purchased"

2) Set "Show Purchased" in the iBooks settings to off.

3) Deleted the iBooks App from my iPad. Deleted the books in question from my PC. Even went into the folders and deleted them. If I've deleted the content from my ipad, and from my computer AND told iBooks NOT to sync from iCloud AND told iTunes NOT to sync any books at all, then how is it that iBooks is still showing me books I clearly do not want anymore on my device. No matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall iBooks, those holding images for the books in question still keep coming up.

It really doesn't say much about a book app when the simplest thing (deleting unwanted books) needs a visit to the support pages.

iBooks-OTHER, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 12:56 PM

Books not actually on the iPad will not show up unless you have Show All Purchases set in teh setting app. Even then they will be indicated with a small cloud icon. These will always be in teh Purchsed collection, but can also show up in other collections if you choose to place them there (moving to another collection doesn't effect the Purchased collection).

To delete a book, tap Edit (upper right corner), tap each book to be deleted, Tap Delete (upper left).

If for some reason this doesn't appear to be working correctly, two things to look into:

• Open the Settings app > iTunes&App Stores. Check to see if automatic downloads are tuned on for iBooks. If so, turn it off.
  • Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps from the tray before doing the reset.

Since you have such heartburn over the need to visit this site, you may want to consider having a look at the user guide. It may prevent the need to do so: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2013 12:56 PM in response to A Dandachi

Books not actually on the iPad will not show up unless you have Show All Purchases set in teh setting app. Even then they will be indicated with a small cloud icon. These will always be in teh Purchsed collection, but can also show up in other collections if you choose to place them there (moving to another collection doesn't effect the Purchased collection).

To delete a book, tap Edit (upper right corner), tap each book to be deleted, Tap Delete (upper left).

If for some reason this doesn't appear to be working correctly, two things to look into:

• Open the Settings app > iTunes&App Stores. Check to see if automatic downloads are tuned on for iBooks. If so, turn it off.
  • Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps from the tray before doing the reset.

Since you have such heartburn over the need to visit this site, you may want to consider having a look at the user guide. It may prevent the need to do so: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Apr 24, 2013 4:54 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Turning "Show All Purchases" only hides the "Purchased" folder in iBooks, the books still appear in the Books folder no matter what I try.

Your suggestion that I turn off automatic downloads of books would have been a good one, if only the iPad for some reason didnt keep switching it back on. I flip it to off, it immediatley flips it back to on. Yet another issue to take up on the forums and with Apple.

Can't delete free books from iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.