Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do apps in my iPad mini's multitasking bar automatically restart?

This is very annoying. The apps that are supposed to be running in the background on my iPad mini always seem to close. Sometimes the app I last used won't be closed, but everything after that is. They still show up in the multitasking bar at the bottom, but when I open them, they have to load again.

I know this doesn't happen on other devices, because both my parents have an iPad 2, and for them, apps never close by themselves.

Is this just something standard for the iPad mini? Is there any way to fix it? I'd really like to have my apps on in the background, and it's very annoying when saved documents don't get saved, or I have to restart things that have already taken me forever.

Thank you for your help, if you can give it.

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 3:23 PM

What do you mean by "close". If you mean they seem to go through their normal loading procedure, this is normal behavior for many apps and is done this way to pevent apps from unnecessarily consuming system resources and battery. In most cases, whatever you were doing before putting the app into the background will be retained however.

There is no difference between how iOS devices handle multitasking. You can read more about it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2013 3:23 PM in response to sittiponder

What do you mean by "close". If you mean they seem to go through their normal loading procedure, this is normal behavior for many apps and is done this way to pevent apps from unnecessarily consuming system resources and battery. In most cases, whatever you were doing before putting the app into the background will be retained however.

There is no difference between how iOS devices handle multitasking. You can read more about it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

Apr 28, 2013 3:25 PM in response to sittiponder

Apps close when they "crash" and, if you have enabled this, diagnostic reports get sent to Apple. You may get some clue if this has been happening by looking at Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data. There you will at least see some time tagging of events that have been noted.

Apps might be crashing for many reasons. One would be a shortage of storage on your iPad (check Settings > General > Usage). Another would be presence of corrupt apps (check the size of "Other" in iTunes on your computer when you sync your iPad. If it's much more than 1GB, you have corrupt files.).

Why do apps in my iPad mini's multitasking bar automatically restart?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.