Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless or Bluetooth keyboard keeps disconnecting

I work on a Macbook Pro, and have an apple wireless keyboard and magic trackpad so that I can sit further back from a large screen that is plugged into the Macbook. The track pad oddly always stays connected. I get an image of a keyboard and the words Connection Lost. This happens 10 - 12 times a day, last 3-5 seconds, and I lean forward to use the keyboard on the macbook. It always comes back, but the problem is that it always disconnects!

Batteries are fine and I have changed them several times over teh last few months. I have deleted the device from Bluetooth Preference, re installed, made favourite and no bananas. I have turned off wifi on the Macbook, so not a factor. I believe this started after upgrading to Mountain Lion, but can't remember for sure. I don't sit in a microwave, have 2.4 mghtz phones or anything similar. I haven't reset the PRAM, and what ever it's now called with the Intel chip. Should I?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jamie

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 6:59 AM

PRAM reset will not hurt anything, and might help.

Barry

9 replies

May 5, 2013 8:48 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Bother (non swearing alternative). Have reset the NVRAM (Intel version of the PRAM) and it still drops off. It does reconnect quicker, and only drops on average once every two hours rather then x 3 an hour.

Any other ideas? Faulty keyboard? Trouble is like most other apple accessories I'm still paying off the mortgage taken out to pay for the keyboard.

May 7, 2013 1:24 PM in response to johng012

My macbook pro 13 in was bought early 2011. Which gets us no closer. I have a magic trackpad that sits next to the keyboard, and that is continously connected and never drops. So I think it's the key board. I also suspect that this isn't a common problem as the discussions have been solved with all the options that I've tried. To quote Winston, "we will not surrender..."

Apr 28, 2014 6:43 PM in response to Jamie123

Jamie, I used the same solution. My keyboard used to disconnect itself every time I put it down on a desk, and even sometimes when I was typing vigorously.

I put a small disk of aluminum foil, perhaps folded over a couple times, in between the battery and the screw-in cover. It has not disconnected on me since—not in over three years!

The battery level indication seems a little less reliable now with the foil in place, but it's far better than the alternative.

Wireless or Bluetooth keyboard keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.