Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to copy mail files from Apple Mail 2.13 OSX 4.11 to Apple mail 5.3 OS X 7.5

I am trying to move all my email files and folders from my retiring 17" G4 Macbook Pro to a MBP running OSX 7.5 and mail 5.3. There is the Library folder in user directory in OSX4.11 mail 2.13 with the com.apple.mail.plist to copy to the new system but there is no Library folder in my user directory on the new MBP There is a Library folder in the MacHD folder ... where do I copy files to?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), FCP Studio 7

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:39 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2013 7:14 AM in response to Michael Madden

Hey Michael,

It sounds like you're not wanting to use Migration Assistant to transfer everything over. In that case, we can do a relatively quick two step process outlined in the follwoing articles:

Mail (Mountain Lion): Export mailboxes (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11712)

Mail (Mountain Lion): Import mailboxes (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11744)

For ease of use, here are the pertinent insturctions from those documents:

You can export a mailbox to create a backup copy of it, so that later you can retrieve messages from the mailbox if you need to.

1. Select one or more mailboxes, and then choose Mailbox > Export Mailbox.
  2. Choose a folder or create a new folder where you want to store the exported mailbox, and then click Choose. Mail exports the mailboxes as .mbox packages. If you previously exported a mailbox, Mail does not overwrite the existing .mbox file but appends a number to the filename of the new export to create a new version, such as My Mailbox 3.mbox.

Mail can import messages from other email apps or messages from mailboxes that you exported using Mail.

1. Choose File > Import Mailboxes.
  2. Select the email app you want to import messages from. If you’re importing a mailbox exported from Mail, choose Apple Mail.
  3. Follow the instructions that appear onscreen.

Your imported mail is stored in a new mailbox called “Import.” To reorganize imported messages, create new mailboxes and drag folders and messages from the Import mailbox to other mailboxes. When you’re done, you can delete the Import mailbox.

If you don’t see your mailboxes in Mail, choose View > Show Mailbox List; empty mailboxes aren’t imported.

Cheers,

David

how to copy mail files from Apple Mail 2.13 OSX 4.11 to Apple mail 5.3 OS X 7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.