Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad lays no sound from iTunes or movies

My wife's iPad is playing all sounds through the earphones and will give alerts etc through the speakers but will not pay any sounds from iTunes or movies. When the earphones are plugged in I can control the volume from the screen but when the earphones are out I am unable to do it from the task bar or using the controls on the side of the iPad.

I have reset the iPad settings and checked that the slide switch at the side is controlling the mute function rather than screen lock but have had no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 2:03 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2013 2:34 PM in response to ashkimber

Howdy, ashkimber!

It sounds like the iPad may have been muted.

The following explains how to determine if it has, and also how to un-mute it.

For what it's worth, this setting does only affect certain applications, and having it 'muted' will not mute ALL output from the iPad.

iPad: Understanding the side switch

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4085

Mute

When you mute your iPad, only certain sounds are muted.

• Sounds such as alerts, notifications, sound effects, and game audio are muted.
  • Media playback (such as music, podcasts, movies, videos, and TV shows) are not muted.

Best regards,

Allen

May 2, 2013 3:34 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thanks for the response but the iPad seems to be doing exactly the opposite of what you expect the mute control to do ie mute music and video but play alerts.

It also appears that the issue is intermittent. My wife found that the sound was playing as normal for a couple of hours this evening then stopped without her having adjusted any settings or using any other apps that make use of the speakers.

I've done another quick test where I had music playing then switched the mute switch off and then on again with the result that the music was muted when the switch was activated and did not come back on when it went back to its original position.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Ash

iPad lays no sound from iTunes or movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.