Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just today, suddenly I am unable to play YouTube videos I am getting an endlessly spinning progress wheel & then 'playback error' on BOTH my iPhone & iPad

Today, suddenly I am unable to play YouTube videos, I am getting an endlessly spinning progress wheel! This is happening on BOTH my iPad & iPhone PLEASE HELP!

Posted on May 2, 2013 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 10:22 AM

Same here. My issue is wifi only. iPhone 4 latest update, 4S latest update, and iPad 2 latest update. iPhones play videos fine on 3g and 4g. Just started out of the blue on May 2.

My PC and Mac computers all play YouTube videos fine over my wifi. Still I updated router firmware, reset cable modem, cleared caches history and cookies, reset iOS devices, cleared network settings, restart, reboot, etc. to no avail.

YouTube app fails, m.youtube on safari fails, sometimes I get "request timed out" or "video currently unavailable" or "network error."

Anyone else with this problem have more to add? I suspect it is YouTube failing somehow, and not my devices or network. Perhaps defaulting to flash versions of videos for some reason? Thinking out loud...

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2013 10:22 AM in response to elvisrox

Same here. My issue is wifi only. iPhone 4 latest update, 4S latest update, and iPad 2 latest update. iPhones play videos fine on 3g and 4g. Just started out of the blue on May 2.

My PC and Mac computers all play YouTube videos fine over my wifi. Still I updated router firmware, reset cable modem, cleared caches history and cookies, reset iOS devices, cleared network settings, restart, reboot, etc. to no avail.

YouTube app fails, m.youtube on safari fails, sometimes I get "request timed out" or "video currently unavailable" or "network error."

Anyone else with this problem have more to add? I suspect it is YouTube failing somehow, and not my devices or network. Perhaps defaulting to flash versions of videos for some reason? Thinking out loud...

May 3, 2013 11:39 AM in response to elvisrox

And I thought I was the only one. I too am having the same ******* problem. Since last night I tried watching a video on YouTube and it fails on me the EXACT same way as you guys are describing it. Even 1min videos are failing. Every one of my computers work fine. The network is running smoothly. All other websites on my iphone work too. But WHY YouTube doesn't?! I was only able to watch just one... ONE video today!

Google just need to let go of YouTube completely. Ever since they took over it, it's been one disaster after the next!!! >:()

May 5, 2013 9:21 PM in response to elvisrox

This situation is happening to me right now. I wanted to view a youtube video last night on Safari on my ipad 3, but when I clicked on the video it just kept buffering with the circle - it won't play at all. I've cleared my history and cache, did a reboot and it still won't play. I've also tried downloading the youtube app, but the videos also won't play on that app. Is there something wrong with my ipad or is it just youtube?

Just today, suddenly I am unable to play YouTube videos I am getting an endlessly spinning progress wheel & then 'playback error' on BOTH my iPhone & iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.