Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 in-call volume too low.

Brand new iPhone 5. Volume very low during calls. My 4s was MUCH louder.

Yes, obviously I took off the plastic film off the screen and the headpiece.

Yes, obviously, there is nothing blocking the speaker.

Yes, off course I made sure that there is no dust in there or anyhting else. It's a brand new phone!

And yes, off course I raised the volume all the way up during a call.

Now with all that out of the way, what can be causing such bad in-call volume? Is there anything I can do short of exchanging for another phone?

Thanks very much.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 7, 2013 9:57 PM

11 replies

May 10, 2013 7:15 AM in response to ibex333

Hi ibex333,

That doesn't sound too good! I see you have already taken most of the troubleshooting steps necessary. Let's proceed to the last few steps:

iPhone: Can't hear through the receiver or speakers

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630

User uploaded file

You can follow these resources for information on backing up and restoring. Note: For hardware issues, we will want to restore your device as new for testing purposes (isolation).

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

iOS: Unable to update or restore

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Thanks,

Matt M.

Aug 4, 2013 7:39 PM in response to ibex333

I found this on another thread and it worked for me.

1) Go to Settings > International > Language

2) Change from English to British English

3) Exit all the way out of Settings

4) Go to Settings > International > Language

5) Change back to English

6) Exit all the way out of Settings

This should result in a minor increase in volume. (Not sure why)

Then, for the significant volume increase:

1) Go to Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Aids

2) When presented with the "Bluetooth" dialog window, click CANCEL

3) When dialog window closes, turn on "hearing aid mode"

4) Exit all the way out of Settings

5) The volume increase/improvement will be significant

Jun 5, 2014 11:14 AM in response to Phoenix_W

I restored my phone as a new setup and that did not work. So then I tried your language and hearing aide suggestion, and it freaking worked!!! I tried the hearing aide setting first, and got nothing. Then I did the language setting and it worked. After that, I thought I would try without the hearing aide mode on and it still works.

I can't for the life of me understand WHY this worked, but it did. And that's nuts!

Thank you for the tip! I still have an issue with my sleep button that needs to be corrected, and I've replaced the battery one since I purchased the iPhone 5 in November 2013, but at least one of my issues is resolved!

Sep 9, 2014 9:43 AM in response to ibex333

I was having the same problem with my new 5c. Found this advice on the internet and it worked! When you have an incoming call, use the volume button on the left side of the phone. This button will increase/decrease the ringtone volume if there is no incoming call, but will increase/decrease the speaker volume if there is an incoming call.

iPhone 5 in-call volume too low.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.